When you signed up to live on-campus, you agreed to the terms and conditions of the Room and Board Agreement which clearly states in Section A2 that the commitment is for the full academic year (both semesters). You are therefore legally and financially bound to fulfilling the agreement. Any request to be released from this commitment must be submitted formally via a request for release from housing. If you wish to be released from the Room and Board Agreement for Semester II you must submit an Petition for Release from Housing. Semester II Requests for Release are due to Housing by 4:30pm on the second Friday of November. We realize that the second Friday of November is a Federal and UNH Holiday (Veteran's Day). Therefore, we will accept petitions until 12Noon on Monday, November 13. This adjusted dated is a strict deadline.
Download the Semester II Petition for Release From Housing form (button below), complete the form (save it to your computer*), and (1) attach it to an email to email@example.com; (2) bring it to our offices at 10 Academic Way, (across from McConnell Hall behind the bus stop) at UNH Durham, or (3) mail it to us at 10 Academic Way, Durham, NH 03824.
* if you are using an Apple laptop or computer and Apple's Preview app to download and complete the form, please be sure to "SAVE AS PDF" when saving to your device. Better yet, be sure to open the form using Adobe's Acrobat Reader. For more information please read this.
Semester II Requests for Release are due to Housing by 4:30pm on the second Friday of November. We realize the second Friday of November is a Federal and UNH Holiday (Veteran's Day). Therefore we have extended the deadline for petition submissions until Monday, November 13 at 12Noon. This new date and time is a strict deadline.
If you submitted your petition before the November due date (for Semester II petitions) you will be notified via email shortly before Thanksgiving.
- Study Abroad, National Student Exchange or Washington Center– Approval will only be granted to those students that are participating in a UNH sponsored program. Approval will NOT be made until Housing receives written verification from the appropriate University department, not only of your acceptance in to the program but also your confirmed enrollment. Once that is received, the petition will be approved and the spring housing and dining charges will be adjusted. You will also be eligible to submit an Intent to Return to Housing After Exchange at that time if you wish to do so.
- Graduation – Housing will verify with the Registrar’s Office that you have completed all requirements to graduate from UNH at the end of the fall semester. Once that is verified, the petition will be approved and the spring housing and dining charges will be removed.
- Leave of Absence or University Withdrawal – When submitting your petition, you must attach a copy of the completed paperwork that has been signed and approved by an authorized representative from the Registrar’s office.
- Internship – If internship is for UNH credit and at a distance that would make living in campus housing unreasonably challenging (as determined by Housing), an approval is usually granted. You are responsible for ensuring that verification of internship, location and required hours are submitted to Housing by the appropriate University department prior to the petition deadline.
- Financial–Any financial-based petition and supporting documentation will be reviewed very critically for indications that you experienced a significant change in financial status (determined by Housing) since you agreed to the terms and conditions of the Room and Board Agreement. Documentation must demonstrate a true inability to meet financial obligations to the University and not that you just wish to make different housing arrangements in an effort to save money. An example of supporting documentation is a formal letter of employment termination addressed to one of your parents or documentation of a recent injury or disability that has significantly impacted your finances in a long-term way. Bank account statements will not be accepted as documentation.
- Medical – We pride ourselves in having a variety of living environments that can accommodate most any need and would be happy to work with you to arrange an assignment change. However, if you do decide to submit a medical-based petition, please email documentation from a physician stating why you cannot live in any of our various on-campus options. Documentation must be original and on the physician’s official letterhead. (If meeting the petition deadline is an issue, the physician may fax a copy of the letter to 603-862-3406 and then mail the original to our office). Housing may consult with a University physician when considering such cases.
- Psychological – To request release based on psychological reasons, please attach documentation of an established relationship with a professional counselor who can verify that your needs cannot be in met in any of our on-campus living environments. Documentation must be original and on the counselor’s official letterhead. (If meeting the petition deadline is an issue, the counselor may fax a copy of the letter to 603-862-3406 and then mail the original to our office). Housing may consult with a University counselor when considering such cases.