Resident Assistants (RA) are paraprofessional staff members responsible for a floor community within their residence hall. RAs are responsible for individual student contact as well as providing social programming to assist in creating a welcoming environment for all of their students as well as serving as their floors primary contact for issues or concerns that may arise. RAs will work collaboratively with campus partners such as Housing, SHARPP, PACS, Living Well Services, and other campus stakeholders in order to provide the necessary resources to their community. RAs will be a positive role model and leader not only within their hall but throughout the university.
The RA Application period for positions starting in August 2021 will run from November 9, 2020 – January 4, 2021
Qualifications & Responsibilities
On average, RAs work with 30-50 residents. This requires you to be sensitive to the needs, values, and lifestyles of many different types of people. This kind of understanding takes self-confidence, openness, and strength of character. RAs are supervised by professional staff members who offer lots of training, support, team building, and 1:1 supervision. Every RA is a member of a staff of 3-16 people. Being a part of a team provides support and challenge. Together as a staff, RAs set the climate for their hall and create a comfortable community for residents.
- RAs must be full-time, matriculated, undergraduate UNH student (taking a minimum of 12 credits every semester).
- RAs serve as strong academic role models, therefore a GPA of at least 2.5 is required. This information is verified through the Registrar's office.
- RAs must be able to commit 20 hours per week to the position.
- Office of Community Standards discipline record check (having a prior violation will not necessarily make you ineligible, but the nature of the violation could.)
- Foster a welcoming and inclusive community through social programming
- Effectively communicate residential needs with Hall Director and provide campus resources
- Supervise a floor community of 30-50 students
- Serve in an on-call duty rotation to enforce university policy and ensure community safety
- Act as a mandated reporter
- Manage various administrative duties
The University of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. The university seeks excellence through diversity among its administrators, faculty, staff and students. The university prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged.
Residential Life values the contributions that each member of our diverse community has to offer, holding a firm commitment regarding the creation of an environment where students with a disability can become successful Resident Assistants, while being able to fully participate in campus life. Residential Life is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the above described essential responsibilities of the position. Please contact Katie Bartholomew, Assistant Director of Residential Life for more information (email@example.com).
Thank you for your interest in the Resident Assistant selection process. We hope you will find out more about the RA position! If you live on campus, we encourage you to talk to your Residence Hall Director or Resident Assistant to find out more about the position. We also would encourage you to attend one of our many Zoom Information Sessions. We hope to see you soon!
- The application will be open from November 9, 2020 to January 4, 2021 in your Housing Portal.
- Step One: Complete your Housing Portal RA Application. This is where you will complete your application, submit your resume and reference information. Only completed applications and those meeting the minimum qualifications will be reviewed and considered.
- Step Two: Once you have passed the above application stage, you will receive an email indicating you to sign up for a 30-minute Individual Zoom interview and a 1-hour Small Group Zoom interview.
- Step Three: You will be notified about your status in the process. You will receive a “hired,” “alternate,” or “not hired” decision. Our alternates are used to fill positions that open over the course of the year.
Find the application here: https://unh.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortalX/Login
- After logging into your portal, click the “Housing Employment” tab at the top and select the “RA Application 2021-22” under the Term Selector.
- All components of the process will be conducted via Zoom, so whether you live on or office campus, study in-person or remote, the application process will accommodate your life.
- If you are interested in a mid-year (starting January 2021) position, there is a space to indicate interest in that on the application. Positions are not guaranteed to become available.
- If you are hired as an RA you are required to participate in further trainings and activities in the Spring 2021 semester and the Summer.
- Meet with your new Residence Hall Director and Staff in April or May.
- Attend 2021-2022 all RA staff welcome ceremony in April or May.
- Participate in a 9-10 day all RA training in August before first-year and upper-division students arrive back to campus.
- This RA position is only for our residence halls on campus, not for our apartment communities. If you are interested in working as a Community Assistant in either the Gables or Woodside apartments, please visit Work Here for more information.
Application launch: November 9, 2020
Information Sessions: November – December 2020
Application Closes: January 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM
Individual Interviews via Zoom: January 13-15, 2021 and some availability February 3-5, 2021
Group Interviews via Zoom: February 3-5, 2021
Candidates notified of process outcome (“hired,” “alternate,” or “not hired”): February 17, 2021
Interested in learning more about the RA position? Please join us via Zoom for an Information Session! You will have the opportunity to find out more about the position and get any questions you have answered.
Please check back here for future sessions.
Should you have any questions about the RA Selection process or experience difficulties scheduling your interviews, please let us know. We are happy to help along the way and wish you the best of luck as you embark on this journey.
For any questions about the RA Selection process, please contact Katie Bartholomew at Katie.Bartholomew@unh.edu.