Nutrition Trends For 2019 According To A Registered Dietitian
Check Out What Nutrition Topics Will Be At The Center of Attention This Year.
Every year consumers are bombarded with new food trends they feel they need to try because “everyone else is doing it.” People will try anything when it comes to nutrition from cutting carbs to swishing coconut oil in their mouths. However, are these the trends we should actually be trying? According to Nicole Pin, a Registered Dietitian, these are the five healthful trends we should be following in 2019.
- Eat more plant based foods. This is a trend that we have been told to lean towards for a few years now. It is even recommended by the 2015 Dietary Guidelines to eat a variety of plant-based protein foods including legumes, nuts, seeds and soy products.
- Take cooking back to the basics. Food doesn’t need to be as complicated as social media makes it seem. Fill your plate with whole, minimally processed, and colorful foods.
- Focus on gut health. Try to eat a variety of foods that include beneficial probiotics including kombucha, yogurt, sourdough bread, sauerkraut, and kimchi.
- Buy and eat locally.This will continue to strengthen the community you reside in by supporting the local economy and creating a more sustainable food system.
- Reduce food waste. Try to plan and portion meals that you are going to eat throughout the week so less food is wasted.
Not all health trends need to be followed and adhered to, but if you do want to experiment with a new health trend be sure to do your research and make sure it is from a valuable source, such as a Registered Dietitian!