Know Someone Struggling With Addiction?
Fast Facts About Tobacco Addiction
Despite the fact that this month is almost over, September is Self-Improvement Month. “Self-improvement” can be anything from making small changes in your diet to working towards overcoming addiction.
A tobacco addiction is one that many Americans struggle with. Here are some stats about the negative impact tobacco has on people:
- Tobacco accounts for ONE THIRD of all cancers.
- Due to second hand smoke, about 7,333 non-smoking Americans die of lung cancer
- Smokeless tobacco contains nicotine, which leads to a nicotine dependence and then addiction
- Teenagers and young adults who use smokeless tobacco are more likely to become cigarette smokers
On the flip side, here are some other points that are helpful for people willing and ready to quit:
- Cigarette smoking is the leading PREVENTABLE cause of death and disease (you can do it!)
- 800-QUIT-NOW, was created by the US Department of Health and Human Services to be a helping hand to any smoker who needs help quitting!
- Nicotine gum, patches, and other methods are available over the counter for people who are ready to kick the habit