How To Exercise Without Going To The Gym
The Best Exercises Outside Of The Gym
Sometimes, just getting yourself to the gym can be an accomplishment within itself. It can be hard to find time or motivation to workout. And going to the gym can be very intimidating for some.
But who said you need to head to a gym to workout? Harvard Medical School identified five of the best ways people can be active:
- Swimming - Whether you’re doing laps in the pool or doing intervals of treading water, swimming is a great form of exercise. When you’re in the water, your body is lighter, so your muscles and joints will move more fluidly than they would if you were doing an activity on land, such as running.
- Tai Chi - This is a Chinese martial art that emphasizes two very important things - movement and relaxation. Tai Chi combines meditation and flow movements found in yoga. This exercise is ideal for someone who is looking to do a workout to both their body and mind at the same time.
- Strength Training - Even if you’re just lifting small weights at home, it’s easy to practice strength training. Lifting weights is important because if you don’t use muscles, they will lose their strength over time.
- Walking - People tend to disagree on whether walking is exercise, but if you are walking efficiently and effectively, it is. It’s recommended that you start walking for 10-15 minutes and gradually increase the mileage iver time. Walking helps clear your mind and helps to maintain a good blood pressure.
- Kegel Exercises - Last but not least, Kegel exercises are also a good way to workout. Practice Kegels by “squeezing the muscles you would use to prevent yourself from passing urine or gas.”
There are lots of ways to be active. Participate in activities you enjoy and you will be more likely to be consistent.