9 Tips to Staying Fit On Campus!
Having trouble finding time to stay active? Follow these 9 tips to stay fit on campus!
Have you ever skipped out on going to the gym because you simply can’t fit it in your schedule? Finding time to stay active while managing all your academics, work, extra-circulars, and social life can be very challenging. ChooseMyPlate provides 9 easy tips to stay healthy and active on campus.
- Walk or bike to class – Healthy UNH provides a Walking Map that tells you how far you walked on campus! It is recommended to walk about 10,000 steps per day which averages to around 5 miles. Using the walking map is a great resource to keep track of your steps!
- Take the stairs instead of the elevators
- Join a sport club – UNH has a total of 30 sport clubs that are waiting for you to sign up! Choose your favorite sport and get active!
- Join an intramural team- UNH offers intramural sporting events throughout the whole entire year! Get a group of friends, make a team, and have some fun!
- Have a plan of what to accomplish at the gym – A lot of time can be wasted at the gym when you are not too sure what to work on. Making a plan on what you want to do at the gym can save you a ton of time!
- Be active with friends – get a group of friends together and go for a walk in college woods or play some Frisbee on T-Hall lawn! Getting to hang out with friends and being active at the same time is the best of both worlds!
- Take a fitness class - the gym offers a variety of classes throughout the day that are perfect to fit your busy schedule!
- Sign up for an Outdoor Adventures trip – Campus Rec gives students the opportunity to sign up for day and overnight hiking trips in the White Mountains!
- Balance calories – All the dining halls on campus provides students with the Wildcat plate to help measure portion sizes and make sure you getting the nutrients you need to stay healthy!
On top of these great tips, there are more ways to workout your body and keep working your mind all at the same time!
- While sitting down perform side stretches. Put your hands on your hips or over your head and lean over side to side.
- Do some butt crunches by continuously contracting your gluteus maximus muscles.
- Get your daily dose of cardio by placing your arms over your head and quickly pumping them for 30 seconds.
- Or rapidly tap your feet on the floor football drill style for 30 seconds. The more you repeat these exercise the more you heart will pump!
Finding time to stay active doesn’t have to be hard! If you know you have a busy day ahead of you, incorporate some of these exercises/ tips into your daily routine. Adding in these simple activities can make you feel better about your health and more energized so you can conquer your day!