5 Foods to Eat When Sick
These 5 Foods Can Help You Feel Better When You’re Sick
As we start to approach Fall and the temperature begins to drop, many people are starting to get sick. This coupled with being on a college campus leads to many people getting infected all at once. Whether you have a sore throat, stuffy nose or just the common cold, here are 5 foods that may help you feel better.
- Soup and Broths. Although this may seem obvious, hot broths help relieve your sinuses and leave you feeling less congested. They are also great sources of fluid and electrolytes. Read more about the health benefits here!
- Bananas. Bananas are an excellent food to eat while sick because they are easy to get down and are full of fast-acting carbs. Along with this, they have potassium that can help replenish the electrolytes you may have lost!
- Spicy food. Although this may seem random, spicy foods actually have an ingredient called capsaicin which can help relieve your sinuses and break up mucus.
- Leafy Greens. Leafy greens are a great source of vitamins that your body may need when sick! Add them to your soup and you will barely notice them.
- Salmon. Salmon is a great source of protein, and is high in omega-3 fatty acids which are known to have anti-inflammatory effects to help your immune system!
You can read about what other foods may be helpful when you’re sick here! Along with this, Health and Wellness offer a lot of amazing resources regarding nutrition. You can make a nutrition counseling appointment here! No matter what you eat, making sure you are getting plenty of rest and hydrating often can also help you feel better faster!
Let us know what you like to eat when sick by emailing us at Healthy.Unh@unh.edu !