Superfood Spotlight: Blueberries
Blueberries Have Some Serious Health Benefits
Blueberry season has just begun and you may be surprised by how many local places near you offer pick-your-own blueberry fields. Nothing beats the taste of fresh blueberries in the summer, and they are very versatile as well. This superfood can be used in pies, muffins, smoothies, and pancakes or as toppings for yogurt, cereal and oatmeal and so much more. According to Medical News Today, besides being delicious, there are a lot of health benefits to eating blueberries.
- Healthy Bones – Blueberries contain iron, phosphorous, calcium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K, which help build and maintain bone structure
- Lower Blood Pressure- Blueberries do not contain sodium, which helps you to lower and maintain a low blood pressure
- Lower Risk of Heart Disease – Blueberries contain a lot of fiber which helps to lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease
- Improved Mental Health – Studies have shown that eating blueberries can prevent mental decline and improve short-term memory
- Healthy Digestion – The fiber in blueberries helps prevent constipation and aid healthy digestion