Give Your Heart a Break
How Eating Heart Healthy Can Improve Your Health
February is not just the month of love, it’s also the month for your heart! February is American Heart Month! Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States! As we age, our heart muscles weaken so it is important that we start taking care of our hearts now in order to help prevent heart disease later in life.
As scary as this statistic is, heart disease can be preventable. To do this, all it takes is some simple changes in your lifestyle that can help prevent you from developing heart disease in the future! Here are some tips for eating heart healthy!
- Don’t add salt to your meals! Instead, use spices to give your food extra flavor!
- Avoid foods that contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oils or trans fat.
- Choose lean meats such as poultry and fish instead of red meats.
- Nuts contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that are good for heart health!
- Choose grains that contain lots of fiber!
These tips and more can be found on the American Heart Association’s website, and you can also find other resources such as heart healthy recipes! Not only is diet important, but you should also add some physical activity into your routine every day!