Spotlight on: Tori Dumoulin
1. What does health mean to you?
Health for me means eating a well-balanced diet, staying active, minimizing stress, and feeling good about where I am mentally and physically.
2. What do you do to make a healthy UNH?
To make a healthy UNH, I try to stay physically active all year round. When I’ at the dining hall I try to stay away from desserts, and lean towards fruits, veggies, and protein.
3. How do you stay fit?
I stay fit by going to my dance and aerial classes Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have rehearsals on these nights as well as Saturday mornings. Once in a while I will go to a gym class offered at the rec center.
4. Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?
Again, as mentioned before, I try to stay away from the sweets and the junk food, but at the end of the day it is all about moderation. At the dining hall, I try to make sure I have protein, a piece of fruit, and two glasses of water.
5. How do you find motivation to stay healthy?
My motivation honestly comes from how it feels when you are living a healthy lifestyle. Eating right and staying active puts me in a better mood and therefore makes me a better person.
6. Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?
Physically, I have made sure that moving some way every day, because it puts me in a better mood. Mentally, I have given myself one day a week to whatever I need to do to feel at peace. This can be exercise, going to therapy, coloring, watching Netflix, or taking a nap. This day is all about self-healing.
7. Anything else you would like to add that might encourage others on campus to make health efforts too?
Be proud of the little strides you make, because changing your lifestyle can be quite challenging. All I can say is you need to do what feels right for you. We only have one body, so take care of it. Your and you body deserve it.