It's Flu Season
Learn What You Can Do To Avoid The Flu
In an environment such as college where you are constantly surrounded by many different people, it is very easy for illness to spread. One common illness is the flu. According to UNH Health and Wellness, the best way to prevent the flu is to get vaccinated. Health and Wellness provides free flu shots to everyone that has paid the health fee. To get your flu shot, you can make an appointment with Health and Wellness to get vaccinated at a time that is convenient to you.
The Center for Disease Control has some tips on how to avoid the flu, and how to prevent it from spreading if you do catch it:
- Avoid Close Contact: When you or someone you know is sick, it is best to keep your distance. Being around someone who is sick or being around others when you are sick makes it easier for germs to be spread.
- Stay Home: Not only will staying home and getting extra rest help you recover faster, it will make it less likely that you will spread your sick germs to others.
- Cover Your Mouth & Nose: It makes it harder for germs to spread when you are covering your mouth and nose while sneezing or coughing.
- Wash Your Hands: Washing your hands with warm water and soap will help to prevent you from getting sick by protecting you from germs.
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose or Mouth: Germs are spread when a person touches their eyes, nose or mouth after touching something that is contaminated. It is harder to get sick if you don’t give germs a way of getting in your body.
- Practice Good Habits: Trying to maintain a generally healthy lifestyle by exercising, eating well and getting enough sleep will help your body fight off incoming germs and help to prevent you from getting sick.