Planting Your Own Garden
It's Easier Than You Think!
Have you always wanted to grow your own food but aren’t sure how? Do you want to start a garden but are intimidated by the process? I am here to tell you that you don’t need to be! Gardening is much easier than many people assume, and creates wonderful and healthy food! Not to mention the many benefits, including stress and anxiety reduction, and is a great source of physical activity.
- Choose what you want to grow. As a general rule, if you won’t eat it, don’t grow it! Maybe start with some herbs you enjoy or research what grows well in your area.
- Decide where to start your garden. If you don’t have much outdoor space, no problem! Start with a single pot by the window or a box on your porch. Where you start your garden may depend on how much space you have and what environment your plants thrive on.
- Get digging! Using gardening tools and the information on the seed packets and plant them in your designated garden beds, pots, or right in the ground.
- Maintain your garden. Gardening is not magic, it takes work to help the seeds mature into adulthood. Be sure to water and nurture your plants according to the instructions so they can grow and thrive.
- Reap the benefits! It may seem like forever, but eventually, your plants will have turned into delicious fruits, vegetables, or herbs. So, pick out some recipes to highlight your crop and show off what you have accomplished!
There may be a few more steps in there, depending on the complexity of your garden, but this is to show it does not have to be complicated. Like any skill or hobby, gardening takes practice and experience, and before you know it, you will have quite the green thumb!