The 75 Soft Challenge
Recently on TikTok and other social media platforms, a wellness trend called 75 Hard is a 75-day-long strict exercise and diet regimen popular among those attempting to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. While this challenge surely can benefit many, it is also very restrictive and potentially unrealistic for some. These requirements are to be followed every day in order to complete the challenge successfully, and the rules include:
● Follow a diet (although no diet is specified)
● Do two 45-minute workouts, one completed outside, no matter the weather
● Drink a gallon of water
● Do not drink any alcohol
● Read 10 pages of a nonfiction book each day
● Take a photo of your body every day (likely for “progress pictures”)
While it is great that many people have benefitted and changed their lives with this trend, the restrictiveness could become dangerous and cause some to fall into unhealthy eating or exercise patterns. In addition, it requires a lot of free time to do two separate 45-minute workouts.
As a result of this trend gaining popularity, an easier, more realistic, and less restrictive alternative, called 75 Soft, has been created. This is a much more attainable challenge and one I will actually be attempting. For many, including myself, attempting something as restrictive as 75 Hard would likely result in failing and reverting to old habits. 75 Soft is realistic, flexible, and could even be fun! For 75 days, the rules are as follows:
● Exercise for at least 45 minutes, 6 out of 7 days of the week
● Eat well every day, and drink alcohol only on special occasions
● Drink three liters of water a day
● Read 10 pages of a book each day
I like this challenge much more because it truly focuses on improving physical and mental well-being in a normal and realistic way without having to push to your limit and give up things you enjoy doing, especially as a college student when schedules can be hectic. If this seems like something that would be right for you and enjoyable, I encourage you to do it also!