Chia: More than just a pet

September 6, 2013

Written By

Written By: 

What exactly are chia seeds? They come from a desert plant called salvia hispanica, originated from Central America. Research finds that Chia seeds are a great source of omega - 3 fatty acid and also contains a surprising amount of fiber. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 1 ounce of chia seeds provides 10 grams of fiber. That's almost half of your suggested daily amount! Chia seeds also provide a good amount of easily digestible protein and minerals such as iron and calcium.

So now that you know what chia seeds are about, how do we consume them? Chia seeds can be found in several supermarkets and health food stores, as well as stores like GNC. Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons where ever you'd like. I've heard of people sprinkling it into their oatmeal, breads, yogurt, smoothies etc. Be creative!

Visit the Shape website for a few healthy and easy chia seed recipes!

Comments

I had no idea chia seeds had this much fiber. I may have to try this in my breakfast smoothies, I bet I would stay full for the whole morning. 

Add comment