Change Your Mind, Not Your Body
Recognize that bodies come in all different shapes and sizes. There is no one "right" body size. Your body is not, and should not, be exactly like anyone else's. Try to see your body as a facet of your uniqueness and individuality. This is body positivity and reduces risks of negative body thoughts leading to eating concerns.
Health at Every Size®
Health at Every Size principles help us be at peace in our bodies, supporting people of all sizes in finding compassionate ways to take care of themselves. It acknowledges that good health can best be realized independently from consideration of size. It supports people of all sizes in addressing health directly by adopting healthy behaviors.
It includes the following basic components:
- Respect, including respect for body diversity
- Compassionate Self-care
- Finding the joy in moving one’s body and being physically active.
- Critical awareness
- Values body knowledge and people's lived experiences
- Challenges scientific and cultural assumptions
- Dog Diversity and Poodle Science - We would never challenge why a poodle doesn't look like a mastiff. Why would we hold the same standard for humans?
Change the Way We Look at Fat
Let's face facts. We've lost the war on obesity. Fighting fat hasn't made the fat go away. And being thinner, even if we knew how to successfully accomplish it, will not necessarily make us healthier or happier. The war on obesity has taken its toll. Few of us are at peace with our bodies, whether because we're fat or because we fear becoming fat.
Extensive "collateral damage" has resulted:
- Food and body preoccupation
- Eating disorders
- Poor health
Additional Information about Body Image
- Health at Every Size
- Size Diversity and Health
- 10 Will Powers to Improving Your Body Image
- Tips to Enhance Body Satisfaction
- 20 Ways to Love Your Body
- Celebrate Health at Any Size!
- Enhancing Male Body Image
- Affirm Yourself!
- Phenomenal Woman
- Evolution of Beauty - Video
- Evolution of Beauty, the Male Version - Video
- Onslaught, Dove Self-Esteem – Video