Incoming Students

Incoming Students
Homecoming Students Letters


Welcome to UNH!

We want to help you make the transition to college as easy as possible.
Learn about insurance, health form information, fees and eligibility. 

Jump to Family & Student Frequently Asked Questions

Take a virtual tour of our building and get to know our services!

Virtual Tour

students entering dorm

Students can enroll in the Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) or waive the SHBP with their own insurance.

Learn More

All UNH Students can enroll in voluntary UNH Voluntary Dental and Vision Insurance Plan

Learn More

gnarlz thumbs up

Read our guide for completing health requirements, submitting your health forms, and uploading proof of vaccinations prior to arriving on campus.
Learn More


Clinician patient consult

Learn to use and take an active role in your health care, including advocating for yourself and understanding your health insurance.
Learn More

unh students outside Paul College

From being well to getting well, learn how you can make the transition to college as easy as possible. 
Learn More

drone view of campus courtyard

Here's what you need to know before your student heads to UNH.
Learn More

students on unh campus main st banners

Here's what you need to know about navigating the U.S. healthcare system and accessing services at UNH Health & Wellness.
Learn More

What the health fee covers, who is eligible, how to pay for services, and more.
Learn More


Family & Student Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I can’t log into MyHealth&Wellness. The system is telling me that it is unable to find my record. What should I do? 

A: Incoming students will be able to log into MyHealth&Wellness once they get an account through the USNH system (late spring/early summer). If after that time you are still having trouble please contact our office.

Q: I did not submit my required health forms before my move-in date. What should I do? 

A: We will still accept your information, but please submit it as soon as possible. Failure to provide this information may result in a hold placed on your account that will prevent registration for spring courses.   

Q: I am not living on campus. Do I still have to submit health forms? 

A: Yes.

Q: Do I have to use the UNH Health & Wellness physical exam and immunization forms? 

A: No. We will accept any form that you receive from your healthcare provider's office. Forms will need to include documentation of two MMR vaccines (with the first one given one year after date of birth). We do, however, require you to complete our TB Screening Form, which is located in MyHealth&Wellness.

Q: How can I confirm you’ve received my information?

A: Please do not call our office to confirm receipt of your forms. Log into MyHealth&Wellness, click the “Forms” link on the left side menu, and check the “Status” of your forms.

Q: What immunizations are required? 

A:  Students must include proof of immunization of:

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): 2 doses at least 28 days apart, initiated after 12 months of age, or immune titer
  • Meningococcal (ACWY): 1 dose required within 5 years of enrollment; a booster dose required if initial dose administered prior to age 16
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap): within 10 years, after completion of primary series
  • Chicken Pox (Varicella): two doses of vaccine, separated by four to eight weeks, or immune titer

Immunizations that are strongly recommended:

  • COVID-19: Both doses of a two-dose vaccine (i.e., Pfizer, Moderna), or one dose of a one-dose vaccine (i.e., Johnson & Johnson), plus booster dose(s).
  • Hepatitis B:  series of 3 doses
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV): series of 3 doses
  • Influenza : annually 

Q: What if I have a medical condition that exempts me from vaccination? 

A: Please contact Health & Wellness directly at (603) 862-9355 to speak with someone regarding our exemption process.

Q: Do the immunization requirements apply to everyone on all UNH Campuses (Durham, Manchester, Law, Online)? 

A: All students in all colleges/degrees that have no in-person courses are automatically exempt from this requirement. "Low residency" students (students who are in programs that have sporadic and rare requirements to be in-person) may be automatically exempted as well based on the individual program (e.g., hybrid law students). Decisions about which programs qualify are made in collaboration between the program and Health & Wellness.

Q: Do I need a new physical exam before coming to campus in the fall? 

A: We will accept proof of any physical from the past year, as long as you have had no significant changes in medical history.

Q: Who must be tested for tuberculosis?

A: Most students are low risk for tuberculosis (TB) and will not require a test. This is determined by the answers you give to the questions in the TB Screening Form found on MyHealth&Wellness. If you have a higher risk as indicated by the screening, you will need to get a TB test.

Q: I am still having issues. What do I do? 

A: Please call us at (603) 862-9355.

The following video answers commonly asked questions about the Student Health Benefits Plan and the UNH health insurance requirement:

Please note that this video was created in the summer of 2020. Check our student health insurance page for the most up-to-date deadlines.

Q: How do I upload my insurance card to the MyHealth&Wellness Portal? 

A: To upload your insurance card to the MyHeath&Wellness portal:

  1. Log into MyHealth&Wellness using your UNH username and password. 
  2. Select "Insurance Card" from the left-hand menu.
  3. Click "Add New Card" and fill out the form.
  4. Upload photos of the front and back of your card, then save.

For detailed instructions and a brief tutorial, please refer to our instructional video.

Q: What is considered full-time?

A: Students must maintain full-time student status in order to remain in the UNH SHBP.  Exceptions may be given for students who have been granted a medical withdrawal or are in their last semester of study. 

  • Undergraduates: 12+ credit hours/semester;
  • For graduates: 9+ credit hours/semester OR 6+ credit hours with an assistantship OR enrollment in Grad 900 OR Grad 999

Q: What are the requirements for international students?

A: Students that are in the US with an F1 or J1 visa are required to enroll in the UNH SHBP. They do not have the option to waive this coverage.

Q: What's the difference between the health fee and the insurance requirement?

A: The mandatory health fee covers some on-campus services offered in our facilities, including health education offerings. Insurance companies are never billed for services which are covered by the health fee.  A combination of the health fee and health insurance provides a complete health care package for students. Students can be seen at Health & Wellness regardless of what insurance they have.

Learn more about the Health & Wellness Fee

Q: Do I need an appointment to get services at Health & Wellness?

A: Walk-in appointments are limited and provided as available. It is recommended that you make an appointment in advance. 

Q: What is the easiest way to make an appointment at Health & Wellness? 

A: Appointments can be made online at MyHealth&Wellness, over the phone by calling (603) 862-9355, or in person. 

    Q: Do you have an onsite pharmacy?

    A: No, we stock some commonly used generic medications for students, faculty, and staff who are seen at Health & Wellness to purchase at a minimal cost without submitting claims through their insurance.  Other prescriptions can be filled or transferred to the Durham Rite-Aid or to a pharmacy of your choice.

    Q: Can Health & Wellness help me manage my allergy injections? 

    A: Yes! The Allergy Clinic exists to serve patients who must receive regular allergy injections. Learn more at our Allergy Services page.

    For more information or to ask a question that's not listed, visit our Guide to Incoming Student Health Requirements page.