Being successful in college can depend on many things including being well and getting well when sick or injured. We offer medical services and wellness education/counseling programs to help you do just that.
Be sure to pack a health kit when you come to UNH. If you're not feeling well, it's really nice to have what you need so you don't have to make special trips to the drug store or pharmacy. Here's a list of our suggestions:
- Thermometer (digital, not glass or mercury)
- Salt (for salt water gargles for sore throats)
- Eye Wash
- Sore throat/ cough lozenges
- Aches/Pain/Fever Medicine, non-prescription analgesics work well for fever control and pain, including headache
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol®)
- Ibuprofen (Motrin®, Motrin IB®, and Advil®)
- Allergy Medication (if needed)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) for itchy bug bites or allergy of many kinds
- Cough/Cold Medications
- Always read labels carefully, particularly on multi-symptom medication to avoid “double-dosing.”
- Take medication as directed on package.
- Call the pharmacy with questions.
- Decongestants are highly recommended for nasal/sinus congestion and clogged ears
- Pseudoephedrine (purchased from behind pharmacy counter)
- Cough medications such as guaifenesin are expectorants and help to loosen phlegm in the chest
- Robitussin®, Mucinex®
- Band-Aids (various sizes)
- Ace Bandages (various sizes)
- Rubbing Alcohol/ Hydrogen Peroxide
- Antibacterial ointment such as Bacitracin
- PeptoBismol®/ Antacid
- Waterless alcohol-base (at least 60%) hand cleaner.
- There is no need to have antibacterial soap or hand cleansers; in fact, these items are often expensive and are not as effective in killing germs/viruses as soap and water.
Good to Have
- Heating Pad
- Ice pack or chemical cold pack
- Humidifier/Cool Mist
- Soup packages
- Clear liquids are helpful in any illness
- Ginger ale, water, sports drinks, clear juices such as apple and cranberry, clear chicken or vegetable broths, Jello®, and Kool-Aid®
- Dry mix packets are great to store for convenience
- Freezer pops are very soothing when ill with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or sore throat.
- Lip Balm
Good to Know
The pharmacy at Health & Wellness offers non-prescription medications, such as pain medications, vitamins, antacids, and cough and cold preparations, at a lower cost than many drug stores or supermarkets.
You can find self-care tips to help you learn how to feel better.