- Lot C Carpool pass
- Library Help Desk (AT IT desk?) great for last –minute quick computer fixes
- Training available for TAs for Blackboard and IT stuff (e.g. clickers!)
- Funding for conferences (Grad School and many depts. have them)
- Great coffee shops outside Durham (Newmarket, Portsmouth, etc.)
- MUB Movies for free! (Also Music Hall movies for free!)
- UNH’s art museum is cool and free – will also do stuff with your students
- Campus Rec Outdoor Adventures trips are inexpensive and fun and you don’t need experience to do them – come recommended!
- Official business cards – grad students can get them printed discounted at UNH Printing Services
- We have a Portsmouth campus!
- If you want to park in A-Lot, get here before 9am. (But don’t listen to me, I want that spot!)
- Easiest to park in West Edge and ride shuttle rather than pay for parking tickets! They can get expensive!
- Random parking lots that are pay to park next to buildings if you are running late
- EMS – 15% off for students for outdoor gear
- Learn from older/more experienced grad students about stuff
- Eat a delicious and varied lunch
- Get to know your admin assistants of your dept- if you’re nice to them, your life will be better. They hold all the keys.
From the Town of Durham, dated 4/1/16 :
TAKE THE TRAIN! The Amtrak Downeaster Has Deals for Everyone
Durham and UNH have a real success story to tell about---Amtrak’s Downeaster train. The Downeaster has been running for 15 years and each year the ridership increases.
There are 10 trains that stop in Durham every day—5 going north (to Dover, Wells, Saco, Old Orchard Beach (in season), Portland, Freeport and Brunswick) and 5 going south (Exeter, Haverhill, Woburn and Boston).
The schedule is very good –not perfect—but good. And there are plans underway to add another round trip in the near future and to add additional stops.
Three Downeaster programs that residents may want to know about: Senior Discount: Seniors ride for ½ price every day (promotion code v543). Family Fun: Children ages 2-12 ride free on Sundays (promotion codev581) and half price every other day. Student Travel Pass: a college 6Tix Pass gets six one-way trips on the Downeaster for $86.
Check out http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/ for these and other programs, for schedules and ticket information. Or stop by the Durham-UNH train station at the UNH Dairy Bar and pick up Downeaster information brochures there. And as a Durham resident you can park free at the Depot Road Parking Lot by getting a free parking pass at the police station.