At the initiation of S. Melvin Rines ’47 (left), and with his generous support, the Emeriti Council of the UNH Foundation Board has established a fund to assist groups of UNH students to engage in an international service project. This funding is available to existing student organizations as well as independently-formed student groups with a service project that is supported by their department(s).
The UNH Emeriti Council Student International Service Initiative Fund (EC SISI) is intended to UNH students to bring their knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise to solve real world problems in developing areas of the world in partnership with regional stakeholders. The grants provide funding to augment student groups' own fundraising activities. The amount of the awards, typically in the range of $3,000 - $10,000, will depend on the merit and scope of the proposals.
Grant Application -
March 19, 2018 deadline for upcoming summer and winter break project proposals
Notification of awards -
The UNH Emeriti Council will consider the overall quality and merit of the proposal, as well as the following in evaluating applications:
- Project preparation, fundraising and implementation plan.
- How the community abroad is engaged in project needs assessment, planning, and implementation.
- Beneficial impacts for the community where the project is conducted.
- Long term impact of the project for the community where the project is conducted.
- Benefits to scholarship and/or student learning and/or enhancement of educational quality at UNH.
- How the project results will be shared with the University community.
◙ EC SISI Grant award is contingent on the student group raising a portion of the funds needed for the project.
◙ EC SISI Grant award is not meant to be an ongoing funding source.
- Each group should be an officially recognized UNH student organization or group sponsored by a UNH department.
- Have a faculty/staff advisor(s).
- All students traveling for the project must be in good standing with the Student Conduct System.
To apply for the EC SISI grant, please submit a complete application to the Global Education Center, Nesmith Hall G25. This application consists of the following seven components:
□ The completed Emeriti Council Student International Service Grant Application Form (open form).
□ A written description of the project (maximum four pages) that one-by-one addresses each of the six Grant Criteria.
□ Faculty Advisor(s) letter of support.
- Letter should describe the advisor’s involvement and supervision of the project; how long the advisor has been working with the students; and, an assessment of the project’s viability.
□ Detailed project budget and timeline, including all sources of funding.
□ Background information that would inform the UNH Emeriti Council about your group’s mission, goals and history.
□ List all students involved in the project. Each group member should submit an individual statement (max. 400 words) explaining why he/she is involved with the organization and the service project.
□ Additional accompanying materials such as: history/description of local partner organizations/sponsors, previous service projects at this location, and other relevant supporting documents (max. four pages).
Dates & Instructions:
□ No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
□ Turn in a complete grant application with all required and supporting documents to:
The Global Education Center, Nesmith Hall G25. For more information, contact Catherine D'Auteuil <Catherine.DAuteuil@unh.edu> or call 603-862-2398.
□ Deadline: March 19, 2018 at noon for upcoming summer and winter break project proposals
□ Notification of awards: Early May
□ Post-Grant Publicity:
- Recipients are required to complete a final activity report, including itemized budget expenditures and an approximately 3-minute video highlighting the on-site project work and impact on the local community and UNH participants.