Program Details & Usage

UNH International Health Insurance & Travel Assistance

Explanation of Benefits & Coverage Information for Students


  • Activity supervised, led, arranged, or sponsored by an UNH department or faculty or staff member. This includes:
    • UNH-Managed, Exchange, and Approved study abroad, IROP/SURF/REAP, independent study, department approved internship, research for a capstone/thesis/dissertation, Fine Art competitions
  • Activity supervised, led, arranged, or sponsored by a University office, organization or by a University recognized student organization. This includes:
    • Athletic teams, Alternative Spring Break, Students Without Borders
    • Research sponsored or supported by a University research office unit or committee
    • Presentation at a conference about University programs, activities, or research

Students are not covered if they are traveling internationally for personal and/or leisure travel with the exception of allowed travel days as defined by the UNH program. UNH insurance coverage includes up to 7 days of personal deviation coverage. Personal deviation is defined as travel prior to or after the school-sponsored trip. Any personal deviation travel in excess of the 7 days is not covered and requires you to purchase your own personal travel insurance should you wish to be covered.

Insurance Program & Coverage – University Health Plans

UNH’s insurance plan is offered through University Health Plans. Please click on the links below to read the plan details.

Travel Assistance & Planning Information – International SOS
Part of the UNH International plan is membership in International SOS, which provide access to medical assistance and security services around the world.

  • The services provided by International SOS range from simple telephone advice, referrals to vetted providers to full-scale medical and security evacuations.
  • International SOS provides extensive pre-travel medical and security information and advice online or by telephone.
  • Click on the link above to review extensive information about International SOS.

Using the UNH International Travel Plan

  • Call International SOS (+1) 215-942-8478 and provide the UNH membership # 11BCAS000009.
  • If you made your own arrangements and payments, follow these instructions to file a claim.

Coverage Exclusions

Below is a limited list of exclusions. Students shall review the Cigna Medical Policy and Lloyd's Travel Policy to know and understand what is covered and what is excluded. Questions about excluded activities should be directed to University Health Plans at

  • Any and all expenses incurred for medical services or treatment in the Insured's country of permanent residence.
  • Travel for personal and/or leisure travel with the exception of allowed travel days as defined by plan coverage.
  • Dependents.
  • Routine care.
  • Dental Expenses unless the result of an accident to sound natural teeth or alleviation of sudden unexpected dental pain.
  • Eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, or examinations for prescription or fitting thereof.
  • Operating any type of vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any drug, narcotic or other intoxicant including any prescribed drug for which the Covered Person has been provided a written warning against operating a vehicle while taking it.
  • Travel in or on any off road motorized vehicle not requiring licensing as a motor vehicle.
  • Professional or recreational flying (e.g., sky diving, hang-gliding, aerial photography/exploration).
  • Injury or Sickness caused by war, or an act of war, whether declared or undeclared, riot, civil commotion or police action.

Purchasing Additional Coverage - Trip Extension, Spouse/Dependent, Trip Cancellation/Interruption

Domestic Coverage, including UNH SHBP

  • UNH recommends that students maintain their domestic health insurance to guarantee continuity of coverage pre- and post-international program.
  • Information about the UNH Student Health Benefits is available online at:
  • Eligible students will be covered by the UNH International Travel plan even if they are not covered by the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan.

Registering Travel to Guarantee Coverage

  • Students traveling on UNH-Managed, Exchange, Approved and UROP programs will register as part of their study abroad enrollment process.
  • Students traveling with a Recognized Student Organization must register with the MUB on Wildcat Link.
  • All other students should contact the Global Education Center at 603-862-2398 or


  • If you have questions about insurance benefits or exclusions for medical sickness/accident, trip cancellation/interruption/delay, medical evacuation/repatriation, political/natural disaster evacuation, contact University Health Plans at
  • If you have pre-trip questions about a health or safety issue, please contact International SOS.
  • For any additional questions, contact the Global Education Center, 603-862-2398, or email