Inviting a J-1 Exchange Visitor

Departments wishing to invite an Exchange Visitor to UNH are requested to read the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Overview which provides an outline of exchange visitor regulations and policies.

Exchange Visitors

Students or Scholars?

There are many different categories of exchange visitor including students, visiting professors, visiting researchers, specialists and short-term scholars. To determine which category will be most appropriate for the exchange visitor, it is necessary to decide the primary objective.

If the exchange visitor's primary objective in coming to UNH is to study, the first step will be to gain admission to the University. For more information on this process, click here.

If the exchange visitor's primary objective is to conduct research, teach classes, or engage in some other sort of employment at UNH, s/he may qualify as a scholar, rather than a student. This section describes the process of inviting a foreign national to UNH as a scholar.

30 Days Prior to Visitor's Arrival

AT LEAST THIRTY DAYS prior to arrival, the department should:

  • Firm up arrangements for on- or off-campus housing for the visitor.
  • Babcock Hall is a good choice for visitors who are single, or who will be coming to UNH without family members. Call Housing at 862-2120 for information about housing in Babcock.
  • Forest Park is suitable for visitors who will be joined by family members. There is often a waiting list for apartments, however. Call the Forest Park Office at 862-2742 for information.
  • For up-to-date off-campus housing check the MUB website or local newspapers such as Foster's Daily Democrat.
  • If the Exchange Visitor will be paid by UNH, contact Human Resources about necessary paperwork.
  • Upon the scholar’s arrival, make arrangements to have a UNH Staff ID Card issued to the visitor. Contact the Registrar's Office for an ID number, and then contact Human Resources to issue the card.
  • Keep the International Scholar Advisor informed of any changes in the visitor's anticipated date of arrival or of his/her withdrawal from the program. It is especially necessary to coordinate these matters if the Exchange Visitor’s arrival is delayed more than twenty days past the date originally anticipated and shown on Form DS-2019.

60 Days Prior to Visitor's Arrival

SIXTY DAYS (or more, if arrival is anticipated from April through August) prior to arrival, the hosting department must:

  • Complete and submit an application form to the International Scholar Advisor at the OISS.
  • Include the following information with the application form:
  • a copy of the Visitor's C.V.;
  • a copy of the formal letter of invitation;
  • copies of prior communication with the international visitor.

Send the Exchange Visitor a formal letter of invitation, as well as:

  • instructions on how to find the necessary information and the visitor’s application form on the OISS web-site; s/he must complete and sign the application form, and return it directly to the International Scholar Advisor as quickly as possible (fax is acceptable, if it is followed up by the original hard copy);
  • the name, phone number, and e-mail address of the International Faculty and Staff Advisor;
  • the nature of the appointment, including the exchange visitor's duties and responsibilities;
  • the nature of the funding, support, and/or compensation the visitor can expect to receive from the University;
  • any arrangements which will be made by the department on behalf of the Exchange Visitor (housing, insurance, etc.);
  • a reminder of the necessity for health insurance.

Issuing the Immigration Documents

The department should submit its application and supporting document to the OISS as soon as possible. The application will be reviewed to ensure that the request is appropriate for the Exchange Visitor Program. The department will be contacted if additional information is needed.

Upon receipt of the completed departmental application form and documentation from the visitor, the OISS will prepare Form DS-2019, with pre-arrival information including instructions about applying for a J-1 visa.

Upon receipt of the documents, the Exchange Visitor will apply for a J-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate and enter the United States.