The following outlines the procedures for J-1 students to extend their permission to stay in the U.S., either to complete the program of study, or to start/complete Academic Training (study-related employment).
When to Extend
Apply for an extension from OISS or your non-UNH sponsor at least 60 days prior to the program end date on your Form DS-2019. If you are uncertain how to reach your non-UNH sponsor, OISS can help you find this information.
You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if you are:
- Studying full-time, making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding; or
- Have completed your program of study and want to participate in Academic Training; or
- Are participating in an authorized Academic Training program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program.
For Exchange Students and non-UNH Sponsored Students:
- Obtain a letter from your faculty advisor confirming your continued academic progress, full-time student status, and date of program completion.
- Secure an updated letter of award (e.g., scholarship or assistantship), bank statement, or other documents to show sufficient financial support to cover the period of extension.
- Submit all materials to OISS or your sponsor.
For Degree Students:
- Complete and submit OISS's online Program Extension Request eForm at least 60 days prior to the program end date on your Form DS-2019.
- Login to eOISS
- Under the heading J-1 Student Services, choose "Program Extension Request"
- Before submitting your eForm, please meet with your Academic Advisor.
- After you submit your eForm, your advisor will be sent an email notification to approve your request.
- Login to eOISS
- After your eForm has been approved by your Academic Advisor, an OISS Advisor will contact you regarding the financial documentation you will need to provide.
- After financial documentation has been provided, an OISS Advisor will issue you a new Form DS-2019 with a revised program end date.