Extending Your Stay

Both the department and the H-1B employee must submit fully completed and signed data collection forms to the OISS, preferably no later than 90 days prior to the expiration of the employee's current work authorization. Be sure to include information regarding any changes in the position classification, job description, duties, requirements or salary.

Upon receipt of these documents, the OISS will prepare all necessary forms and assemble the appropriate documentation and cover letter for submission of the H-1B extension petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

A draft support letter will be sent to the individual identified on the data form as the department contact. The department should review, print on departmental letterhead, and sign the letter (after making any necessary revisions).

There are filing fees associated with the submission of any petition or application to the immigration service. These fees are imposed by the immigration service.) Regulations require these fees to be paid by the employer rather than by the employee. Therefore, the sponsoring department must arrange to have a check, payable to the Department of Homeland Security, issued by the Accounts Payable office or by the Business Service Center. These fees must be included with the application at the time of filing. If the employee has dependents in the U.S., there will be additional fees to cover the costs of filing extensions for dependents. Payment of filing fees for dependents are the responsibility of the employee.

The employee and the department will be responsible for providing the OISS with all necessary information and documentation (listed below) required to be submitted with the H-1B extension petition. Approval of the application by immigration service can take up to several months from the time it is filed.

From the International Employee

  • A fully completed employee data collection form which includes updated information about degrees conferred, etc.;
  • Clear, legible copies of the front and back sides of the most recent Form I-94 (employee’s and any dependents');
  • a copy of the employee’s most recent H-1B visa;
  • copies of passports for the employee and any family members; send only the following pages: biographic information page (with name, date of birth, photo, etc.) as well as the page containing expiration date and pages with any U.S. visas;
  • three copies of the employee’s most recent C.V. or resume;
  • copies of any additional degrees conferred since the employee obtained initial H-1B status;
  • a check to cover the immigration service’s filing fees for applications for extensions for any family members (if applicable).

Send or take these items to:

UNH Office of International Students and Scholars
10 Library Way, Conant Hall 315
Durham, NH 03824
Phone: (603) 862-1508
Email: oiss.advisor@unh.edu