Extending Your DS-2019

The following information outlines the procedures for J-1 students to extend their permission to stay in the U.S.

You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if you are:

  • Studying full-time, making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding; or
  • Have completed your program of study and want to participate in Academic Training; or
  • Are participating in an authorized Academic Training program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program.

For Exchange Students and non-UNH Sponsored Students:

  • Obtain a letter from your faculty advisor confirming your continued academic progress, full-time student status, and date of program completion.
  • Secure an updated letter of award (e.g., scholarship or assistantship), bank statement, or other documents to show sufficient financial support to cover the period of extension.
  • Submit all materials to OISS or your Program Sponsor.

For Degree Students:

  • Complete and submit OISS's online Program Extension Request eForm at least 60 days prior to the program end date on your Form DS-2019.
    • Login to eOISS
      • Under the heading J-1 Student Services, choose "Program Extension Request"
    • Before submitting your eForm, please meet with your Academic Advisor.
      • After you submit your eForm, your advisor will be sent an email notification to approve your request.
  • After your eForm has been approved by your Academic Advisor, an OISS Advisor will contact you regarding the financial documentation you will need to provide.
  • After financial documentation has been provided, an OISS Advisor will issue you a new Form DS-2019 with a revised program end date.