Parents FAQ

Family photo at Thompson Hall, UNH

At the Global Education Center we encourage Parents to become informed about the many study abroad opportunities that we offer.  Knowledgeable advisors meet with students to get them ready for these high impact experiences during their time at UNH.

We hope you find these frequently asked questions about Study Abroad helpful.

Financial Matters

UNH Managed programs charge UNH tuition plus program fees. These program fees vary by location depending on the nature of the program and cost of living in the host country. Typically these fees include some combination of housing, meals, extra-curricular activities, and program requirements. These fees will be fully explained in the program materials. If you have any questions, contact the Program Assistant or Faculty Director.

UNH Exchange programs will cost UNH tuition, technology fee and an administrative fee, which will be billed to your student’s Webcat account. Students will pay the cost of room and board directly to the exchange partner university abroad.

UNH Approved programs costs vary significantly and are paid directly to the study abroad provider. Some programs are comparable to UNH tuition and some are appreciably more. The study abroad program provider will send an invoice directly to the student who will be responsible for organizing full payment directly to the provider. The study abroad program provider fee may or may not include a wide array of items such as tuition, course fees, room, board, sponsored field trips/excursions, insurance and/or international airfare. Be sure to read the fine print to know exactly what is included and what is not included in the program fee so that you and your student can budget for and are prepared to cover all necessary expenses. Your student will receive a Study Abroad Expense Form from the Global Education Center to help keep track of this information in one place and provide the UNH Financial Aid Office the information they need. Additionally, UNH will bill the UNH technology fee and study abroad administrative fee to your student’s account. Please refer to the financing page to learn more about managing the costs of studying abroad.

UNH currently allows federal, state, and institutional aid except work-study to transfer for all UNH Managed, Exchange, or Approved programs abroad.  Because each student’s financial aid package is unique, the student needs to work directly with the UNH Financial Aid Office to learn how his or her financial aid will apply.

If your student is participating in a UNH Managed or Exchange program, you will pay UNH directly. If your student is participating in a UNH Approved program, the financial aid office will write your student a check, which you will then pass onto the program provider. Financial Aid releases the checks based on UNH’s academic calendar and not the study abroad calendar.

If your student does not have a check with their name on it, go to the bank and request that a representative print a letter, on official letterhead, with your student’s name, account number and bank routing number. A parent’s check will not be accepted.

A careful review of the provider’s documentation may reveal fees listed in the fine print. Also, students may incur fees while abroad. These can include library fines, room cleaning charges, or unpaid activity fees. Contact the program directly for an explanation of their fees and charges.

Program Selection and Application

UNH Managed programs:  Students will work directly with UNH departments and faculty directors, and study abroad with groups of predominantly UNH students. All academic and co-curricular experiences are administered by UNH faculty either on-site or from Durham. UNH Managed programs are offered during the fall, spring and summer semesters, as well as faculty-led, short-term programs during the January term and spring break.
UNH Exchange programs: Also known as reciprocal student exchanges, students directly enroll in select affiliate institutions abroad. Exchange programs tend to be more independent, full-immersion experiences because participants are treated like regularly matriculated students. All courses, programs and services are administered and delivered by the host institution abroad. UNH Exchange programs are offered for the fall and spring semesters.

UNH Approved programs:  These programs are developed, managed and delivered by professional third-party providers or universities abroad. They have met UNH criteria as determined by the UNH University Committee on Study Abroad. Students can study abroad on UNH Approved programs for the fall, spring or summer semesters.

The Global Education Center provides an extensive array of advising resources and services designed to empower your student to find the best program match based on his or her academic requirements, personal and career goals, and individual needs. Please encourage your student to visit the Global Education Center at Conant Hall 310.   See here for information on Getting Started.

The Global Education Center provides an extensive array of advising resources and services designed to empower your student to find the best program match based on his or her academic requirements, personal and career goals, and individual needs. Please encourage your student to visit the Global Education Center at Conant Hall 310.

  • Approved programs: Global Education Center application deadline (Fall: September 25 / Spring: March 5)
  • Exchange programs: contact Education Abroad Advisor/Program Manager at Global Education Center
  • Managed programs: contact the program coordinator in the appropriate department or college

*Please note that some programs have earlier application deadlines.

Transcripts and Credits

For UNH-Approved and Exchange Programs, it is the student’s responsibility to request a transcript to be sent from their study abroad provider or school to the Global Education Center. Please note that many international institutions take longer to issue transcripts than UNH. Additionally, the program provider needs to process the transcript for their records before they mail them out to schools. Once CIE receives it, we evaluate the transcript and send it to the Registrar to be posted onto your student’s transcript. Because this is a multi-step, time consuming process, study abroad transfer credit is not posted as quickly as UNH courses taken in Durham.

Students studying abroad on UNH-Managed programs should talk to the program’s Faculty Director to confirm the timing of posting grades and credits. For students studying on UNH-Approved or Exchange programs, the Global Education Center advises against seniors studying abroad during their last semester because we cannot guarantee that credits will be posted in time.

For more information about transfer credit, please go to our Policy page.

Additional Resources

There is a variety of information on the internet. Some good places to start are: