On-Campus Employment

This page explains eligibility requirements for lawful on-campus employment, as defined by U.S. immigration regulations, and conditions which must exist for employment to be lawful. Please consult the OISS staff if you have questions.

Eligibility Requirements

You may work on campus if:

  • You are maintaining F-1 status; and
  • You do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session (*Graduate Assistantships are equal to 20 hours per week.).

You may work 40 hours per week during university holidays (spring, summer, and winter breaks).

You may NOT be employed on-campus after you have completed a program of study, unless you have applied for and been granted written permission to engage in "Optional Practical Training".

Transferring from/to Another School

Students transferring from one school to another may only engage in on-campus employment at the school having jurisdiction over the student's SEVIS record. For this reason, it is critical for transfers to be closely coordinated between the international office of the current school and the new school.

Jobs Which Qualify as On-Campus Employment

On-campus work performed for the school is usually acceptable, whether it is employment in the dining halls, campus recreation, the computer center or the housing office, or work required by a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship.

NOTE: You MUST contact the OISS before beginning any "on-campus" employment.

Employment Eligibility Verification

Before you begin working on-campus, you and your employer must complete a form to verify that you are eligible to work.  This is called a Form I-9 which must be updated each time you renew your work permission. You must meet with the OISS's Employment Compliance Coordinator to complete the I-9 process.

While immigration regulations provide a variety of opportunities for you to be employed during your time in F-1 status, working without authorization is a serious violation of your status.