FOOD EDUCATION PROGRAM ASSISTANT
ABOUT JUST FOOD
Just Food’s mission is to empower and support community leaders in their efforts to advocate for and increase access to locally and sustainably grown food, especially in underserved NYC neighborhoods. Just Food provides training and education to community members to help them launch projects like farmers' markets and CSAs, provide education in basic culinary and urban agriculture skills for their neighbors, and advocate to make their corner of New York City a healthier place to live and eat.
Just Food seeks to increase the number of New Yorkers who have the skills and confidence to create healthy, delicious meals using fresh fruits and vegetables. Toward this end, the Food Education program trains community members to conduct cooking demonstrations at its network of community-based farmers’ market. Since 2005, Just Food has helped community gardens in low-income neighborhoods start their own community-run farmers’ markets. The markets provide affordable, locally-grown produce in underserved New York City neighborhoods. The markets offer Community Chef-led cooking demonstrations to encourage families to learn to cook with local, seasonal produce.
This year, Just Food has received funding to increase our ability to support the farmers’ markets in our network by providing food education to promote local produce and to increase the capacity of food pantries to educate clients about the availability of farmers’ markets in their community.
We are seeking a seasonal Food Education Program Assistant to work under the direction of the Food Education Manager to assist in coordination and management of the Community Chef Program.
- Coordinate Community Chef cooking demonstrations including scheduling cooking demonstrations and communications with Community Chefs and Market Managers.
- Attend Community Chef cooking demonstrations and provide technical assistance to Community Chefs as needed.
- Manage program related administrative duties such as Community Chef stipend payments, maintaining a calendar of Community Chef cooking demonstrations, and organizing cooking demo equipment.
- Manage food pantry client farmers’ market tours including scheduling and supporting tour leaders, and assisting with program evaluation
- Assist with the development of curriculum and materials for Community Chef Program
- Attend Food Education program trainings including the Training of Trainers course, Cooking Demonstration Training classes and Market Tour training.
- Assist with coordination of continuing education workshops for Community Chefs.
- Assist with program evaluation for Community Chef Program and Market Tours.
- Strong communication, writing, and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Internet research).
- Enthusiasm for local, seasonal eating and cooking; community health; food access, and small farm livelihood issues.
- Cooking or culinary background.
panish language proficiency a plus.
- Ability to work with diverse groups across race, class, and urban/rural divides and a desire to work with low-income community members.
- Be flexible with a great sense of humor.
- Exhibit self-motivation, creativity and direction.
eliable, punctual and able to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Ability to travel throughout the five boroughs
- Weekday, occasional weeknight, and weekend availability required.
Early-mid May to Late October 2015
20 hours per week for 20 weeks
$15 per hour
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Just Food is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds.
To apply: Qualified candidates, please send cover letter and resume by e-mail to Just Food at
, subject line “Food Education Assistant”.
Deadline: Thursday, April 2nd, 5:00 pm.
No phone calls!
FOOD EDUCATION MANAGER
1133 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS, SUITE 1515
NEW YORK, NY 10036