Fishkill Farms is a 150 acre fruit and vegetable farm located in East Fishkill, NY. Our vegetables (20 acres), berries and a portion of our apples are grown organically, and the balance is low-spray eco-apple certified. Produce is marketed through a 200-member CSA, an on-site farm store, wholesale outlets, and three farmers markets in NYC. In addition, the farm is open for pick-your-own all season, starting with peas and strawberries and culminating with apples in the Fall. During the height of our PYO season over 4,000 people can visit the farm in one day!
About the PYO Vegetable Garden Manager:
Our Pick-your-own vegetable garden was started in 2013 to expand our offerings and increase on-farm vegetable sales. It has been a huge success and we’re looking for a candidate with the maturity, creativity and energy to manage it. This is a great opportunity for someone with some prior farming experience seeking to work alongside and learn from experienced farmers, who is also ready to independently manage a unique and exciting new farm project. There is also room to expand on the garden’s potential as a site for farm education. The PYO Garden Manager reports to the Vegetable Production Manager and works closely with store staff.
● Creates a pleasant and inviting PYO garden environment through excellent maintenance and signage
● Assists in garden planning and planting successions
● Works alongside our vegetable production crew to plant, weed, train and harvest diverse vegetables for our CSA and markets.
● Responsible for setup and breakdown of weekend sales booth; organization and storage of all PYO vegetable garden tools, signs and supplies.
● Schedules and trains others to maintain and staff the garden in your absence
● Maintains records of PYO vegetable plantings & sales
● Harvests vegetables for our farm store; helping to stock and manage store assortment
● Interacts with customers and makes sales directly at the the garden.
Our Ideal Candidate Is:
● Happy working independently or as part of a team, communicates well with others
● Enjoys working hard and and has the ability and interest in performing physically challenging and repetitive tasks in all weather conditions; Is able to comfortably and safely lift and carry 50 lbs.
● Detail-oriented and organized
● Ready to take on the demanding schedule, pace, and inevitable challenges of a farming season with consistency and good humor.
● Personable, able to deliver great customer service
● Creative- art & sign painting skills are a plus
● Enthusiastic about organic agriculture and interested in having meaningful interactions with the public around food and farming.
● Has at least one full season on a production farm preferred but not required.
This is a seasonal, full-time position beginning in the spring (April or May) and ending in November. Days are Wednesday through Sunday, and hours will range from 40 to 70 and will average out over the season to around 55/week. PYO Manager will work with the vegetable crew Wednesday through Friday, taking time out as needed for PYO and store related duties, then supervise the garden on Saturday and Sunday.
Requisites: Valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and your own transportation.
Compensation: starts at $500/week and includes produce from the farm.
For more information please contact Jess at email@example.com. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PYO Manager 2015” in the subject line.