VERITABLE VEGETABLE is seeking a full-time Purchaser.
Veritable Vegetable provides full service distribution of certified organic fresh fruits and vegetables to retailers, restaurants, and wholesalers. Veritable Vegetable is a woman owned business, founded on principles of cooperation, participatory management, and ethical business practices. Located in San Francisco, California, we have been creating community alliances and promoting sustainable agriculture since 1974. We are the oldest organic produce distributor in the nation.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Purchaser maximizes business opportunities for VV and ensures the selection, pricing and promotion of organic produce to meet VV goals for availability, sales, margin and quality. The position maintains excellent relations with vendors/farmers and participates in advocacy for sustainable food systems.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Purchasing Manager. Close working relationship with Sales department, Trucking Managers and Inventory Control team.
- Develop and maintain a supplier base that aligns with current customer needs and future opportunities
- Maintain, grow, and strengthen relationships with organic vendors, obtain information about product availability, place orders, establish prices, and resolve quality issues
- Provide coverage across all product categories for Purchasing Department as needed
- Ability to communicate our company values to staff, our community and all outside contacts
- 5+ years of experience in the Produce Industry, preferably in organic produce, with a proven track record of crop planning, negotiating and buying
- Knowledge of organic produce varieties, organic growing practices, quality standards and seasonality
- Outstanding relationship building skills; ability to manage strong vendor relationships
- Strong analytical skills and creative problem solving capabilities
- Ability to evaluate profitability and identify business development opportunities
- Must possess strong communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite software applications and experience utilizing databases
- Knowledge of logistics and ability to work closely with our Transportation Department
- Self-motivated, highly organized team player
- Effective time management skills
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit
- Project management
- Skill at development of promotion programs and identifying volume sales opportunities
- Strong technical skills; ability to analyze and suggest improvements to database applications
- Knowledge and/or experience in food safety compliance
E-mail your COVER LETTER and RESUME to email@example.com or fax to (415) 920-0448.
Veritable offers an excellent work environment, competitive salaries and great benefits. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds.