Nutrition Action Healthletter
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a non-profit health-advocacy group based in Washington, D.C., that focuses on nutrition and food safety. CSPI publishes Nutrition Action Healthletter, the nation's largest‑circulation nutrition newsletter. CSPI provides valuable, objective information to the public, represents citizens' interests before governmental bodies, and serves as a watchdog over industry. CSPI is supported by the subscribers to Nutrition Action, donors, and foundation grants.
The Project Coordinator will gather, compile and verify data related to articles about diet and health, and the nutrient content of food products. This position works with the Nutrition Action Healthletter (NAH) team and reports to the Senior Nutritionist.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Compile nutrition and ingredient information about a range of foods.
- Elicit nutrition, ingredient, and sales information from manufacturers, restaurants and trade groups.
- Proofread and fact-check articles in NAH.
- Purchase products and restaurant foods mentioned in NAH articles.
- Prepare recipes for NAH, when necessary.
- Read supermarket and restaurant trade journals to obtain ideas for foods that might be reviewed.
- Help undertake laboratory studies on the nutritional quality of packaged and restaurant foods.
- Provide general administrative support to NAH staff, including filing, copying, emailing, drafting correspondence, and preparing invoices and expenses for payment.
- Commitment to CSPI’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, and two-to-three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Nutrition background strongly preferred.
- Proven research, proofreading, and data collection skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to speak effectively and professionally to individuals inside and outside of CSPI.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Computer proficiency with Excel and Word, and strong experience with online research tools.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Please send a cover letter indicating your relevant experience and interest and a résumé to: email@example.com. Please include “Comfood” in email subject line.