Position Title: Village Market Place (VMP) Operations Associate Reports To: Executive Director & VMP Co-Managers
Location: South Los Angeles, CA
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
A full or part-time position on a hourly basis offering a competitive wage for a small non-profit commensurate with education and experience, for the right person/s this could lead to a full time salaried position with benefits.
The Operations Associate works for Community Services Unlimited Inc.’s social enterprise the Village Market Place alongside other CSU programs. She/He is responsible for running weekly produce stands and carrying out activities detailed below and others related to the handling, sale, distribution, promotion and processing of local beyond organic produce. She/He should have an interest in healthy eating, local fruits and vegetables, sustainable agriculture, and cooking and food preparation, and be motivated to increase access to healthy food for residents of South Central Los Angeles.
• Receive weekly produce deliveries from small farmers and sort and re-pack for distribution.
• Participate in preparing weekly produce bags, preparing produce for farm stands, and filling wholesale orders using CSU guidelines for quality and efficiency.
• Run weekly produce stands – includes loading and transporting produce and produce stand supplies, setting up stands, engaging with customers and selling produce, breaking down stand.
• Distribute nutrition information and nutrition education to produce stand customers.
• Process produce for storage – including drying, canning and freezing to reduce waste and work along side VMP staff to prepare food to fulfill catering orders.
• Make deliveries using CSU truck and bicycles.
• Ensure that the CSU kitchen space is maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
• Keep CSU vehicles and produce stand supplies clean and orderly.
• Interact with VMP wholesale and retail customers, including responding to questions and complaints.
• Collect and document sales data and report information on the produce stand operations to management.
• Carry out other activities as identified to further expand the impact of the VMP social enterprise.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with handling food (such as cooking, shopping); An enthusiasm for, desire and ability to learn all the skills associated with produce marketing and distribution is essential; • 2-5 years work experience, in customer service, community organizing or other fields with high levels of public engagement; • Applicant must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions; • Able to lift 50 pounds; • Able to stand for long periods of time and to work in different weather conditions; • Ability to and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; multi-task; shift priorities as needed; • Attention to detail; • Bi-lingual English and Spanish; • Current driver’s license necessary and able to ride a bike; • Strong organizational and time management skills; • Proficient in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Submit resume and cover letter to VMP@csuinc.org. Position immediately available. Open until filled. Submissions reviewed on an on-going basis. No phone calls