Marketing & Communications Intern
Hours: Minimum of 10 hours/week
Status: Unpaid internship
The Worcester Food & Active Living Policy Council (FALPC) is a coalition of organizations and institutions in Worcester, MA that is dedicated to fostering a healthy and just food system and active community environment through advocacy, public education and events, and broad collaboration. Some of our primary areas of focus are:
- Healthy food access for all
- Urban Agriculture
- Complete Streets (Improving conditions and infrastructure for walking and biking in the City)
- Reducing and Preventing Childhood obesity
- Social Justice (create understanding of the racial/class/gender inequities that exist; work to combat and undo those systems of racism and oppression)
The Worcester Food & Active Living Policy Council is seeking up to 2 Marketing & Communications Interns for an unpaid position for a minimum of 10 hours a week during the 2015 Spring Semester with the possibility for extension through the summer and Fall 2015. These positions will support the implementation of our Communications and Marketing Plan. Duties will include:
Blog: Help to recruit guest bloggers, develop blog content, brainstorm blog topics ,etc.
Social Media: Expand our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram presence by posting articles, updates, events, and more.
Website: Collect and catalog articles and reports for our “Resources” page. Collect and post dates of local/regional/national events and conferences related to our work and mission.
Newsletter: Organize news and information into electronic newsletter format on a monthly basis.
The ideal candidate will have an interest or background in Public Health, Urban Planning, Community Development, or Agriculture. Ability and willingness to participate in monthly meetings, work group meetings, occasional events, trainings, or state-wide meetings is a plus. This can be done for credit as well.
- 3rd or 4th year undergraduate student or graduate students.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Excellent computer skills in a variety of software including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven experience with social media, online communications, and Wordpress blog site necessary.
- Strong interest in issues related to food, health, built environment, biking/walking, a plus.
- A motivated self-starter who is looking to build their portfolio with real on-the-job experience.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- There is flexibility to take on and coordinate projects based on interest as well.
Please send resume and cover letter to Liz Sheehan Castro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and position will be filled when appropriate candidate is identified. Start date is January 2015.
About Us: For more information on the Worcester Food & Active Living Policy Council, visit: http://www.worcesterfoodpolicy.org/ or find us on Facebook: Worcester Food & Active Living, Twitter: @FoodnActiveLivin.
Liz Sheehan Castro
office: 508-757-5631 ex 304