Position Title: Manager of Permaculture Operations
Organization: Third Millennium Alliance, NGO
Location: Jama-Coaque Ecological Reserve, Coastal Ecuador Learn More at: http://tmalliance.org/about/opportunities/
As Manager of Permaculture Operations, the chosen candidate will work closely with individuals from diverse backgrounds to facilitate project-based internship experiences in the fields of sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, and permaculture. Projects are developed to achieve the goals of the organization and serve as catalysts for interns as they navigate their academic and professional careers. The position is based out of the Bamboo House in the Jama-Coaque Reserve, which is in the province of Manabi, Ecuador, between the cities of Pedernales and Jama, and three kilometers from the community of Camarones.
Summary of Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate, lead, and facilitate 8-week tropical field internships in research, conservation, and permaculture.
2. Provide logistical and technical support to facilitate successful completion of research, conservation, and permaculture-based field projects (including PDC course).
3. Develop overall educational quality of the internship program through field activities, assignments, and required readings.
4. Manage and oversee all activities that take place on the permaculture farm.
Please note: The field station and sites are living entities, constantly evolving into yet more functional, comfortable, self-sufficient and sustainable systems. When you are not otherwise occupied with field work and leadership duties (i.e. on-and-off throughout weeks 4-8 of each session) much of your time and energy will be devoted to brainstorming, prioritizing, designing/planning, and realizing additions and changes to the existing infrastructure.
Field Management Team:
As Manager of Permaculture Operations you will work closely with the other members of the Field Management Team - Reserve Manager/Intern Coordinator, and the Manager of Field Operations. Although each member of this team has his or her own primary responsibilities, there will inevitably be overlap and the need for a lot of teamwork and collaboration. As such, the three of you should always stagger your off time, to ensure that at least one of you, although usually two of you, are on duty at any time.
• Bachelor’s degree in Sustainable Agriculture, Ecology, Biology, Environmental Studies or related field • Permaculture Design Certified (PDC) or equivalent experience • Two years of experience working on sustainable agriculture/ permaculture farm • Strong leadership skills • Excellent communication and organization skills • Physical and mental strength to live in a remote, off-the-grid field station with 5-8 interns for two months at a time • Dedicated to sharing your experiences and knowledge of sustainable agriculture in educational settings • Passion to mentor, empower, and inspire the next generation of young
sustainable farmers through field and hands-on learning experiences
• Enthusiastic, self-starter, and capable of taking the initiative on new and exciting projects • Creative thinking and ability to overcome obstacles • First Aid and CPR certified • Fluent in English and at least highly proficient in Spanish
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
• Certified and experienced PDC instructor; ability to certify interns • Field-based and hands-on teaching experience • Tropical/Latin America sustainable farming experience/knowledge • Experience living in a developing country (preferably within Latin America) • Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness First Aid certified
You will be paid a monthly stipend of $500, in addition to free room and board in the Bamboo House Research Station. Your yearlong visa costs will also be covered. You will need to cover your own travel costs to/from Ecuador, but once in Ecuador all work-related domestic travel will be covered by the organization.
Although the monthly stipend may not seem much by U.S. or European standards, this amount is more than sufficient for Ecuadorian standards, especially considering that your room and board is covered. Before you begin work, you will undergo a two-month training period with the current Manager of Permaculture Operations; the first month will be un-paid (but includes all room and board), the second month will be paid.
Ideally, the training session would begin with the winter internship session, which is January 5, 2015. This would be optimal. However, if an especially strong candidate is not able to arrive to Ecuador until February, we will still consider him/her. The latest starting training date is February 3, 2015, but candidates who can start by January 5th will be given priority.
Amenities and Other Info:
Full room and board are offered in the “Bamboo House” Research Station, which, despite being in the middle of the forest, is quite comfortable – beds with good mattresses and mosquito netting; kitchen and shower and a bathroom with spectacular views of the river valley; 10 hammocks strung along the balcony and the living area, and waterfalls right in our backyard. You will have your own private bedroom. We eat fresh and local, healthily and abundantly, with little-to-no meat. Everyone shares cooking and house maintenance responsibilities. Electricity is only available for recharging batteries when our solar panel is working. Otherwise charging capabilities are available in the neighboring town of Camarones. At night we use candles, flashlights, or headlamps. The beach town of Pedernales is 25 km away, and has internet access, ATMs and banks, a hospital, hotels, eateries, pharmacies and hardware stores, etc.
How to Apply:
Before applying, thoroughly review the Third Millennium Alliance website (www.tmalliance.org), especially the FAQ, Program Description, and Disclaimer documents found on the internship page. Then, if interested in applying for this position, please send resume, cover letter, and two references to Jorj@tmalliance.org and Ryan@tmalliance.org with the subject heading: MANAGER OF PERMACULTURE – YOUR NAME
We don't have as much lead-time as we'd like, so if you're interested in applying, please send your application soon. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and only until we find our desired applicant, so please apply early.