USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
CNPP works to improve the health and well-being of Americans by developing and promoting dietary guidance that links scientific research to the nutrition needs of consumers. CNPP develops integrated nutrition research and provides the evidence-based science and nutrition education and promotion programs. It is a recognized authority for providing the best evidence-based scientific dietary guidance for the American public. CNPP’s staff consists of nutritionists, economists, dietitians, food scientists, nutrition educators and program managers. Our nutrition promotion component works effectively with policy makers, academic and health professionals, the media, and public and private organizations to improve the diet and health of the American public. CNPP provides leadership, technical expertise, and coordination for the development of the legislatively mandated Dietary Guidelines for Americans. We create and manage USDA’s ChooseMyPlate Food Guidance System, which communicates and implements the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. CNPP’s “brand,” ChooseMyPlate, is a state-of-the art web-based source of nutrition guidance tools recognized and used internationally by policy makers, researchers, and educators.
This position is located in the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, Nutrition Guidance and Analysis Branch. As a Lead Economist/Lead Nutritionist, the incumbent will:
- Research, learn and apply a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods to identify, assess, analyze and improve team effectiveness, efficiency and work products.
- Articulate and communicate to the team the assignment(s), project(s), problem(s) to be solved, actionable events, and milestones, program issues under review, and deadlines / time frames for completion, as determined by the supervisor.
- Coach the team in the selection and application of appropriate problem-solving methods and techniques, provide advice on work methods, practices and procedures, and assist the team and/or individual members in identifying the parameters of a viable solution.
- Monitor and report to the supervisor on the status and progress of work.
- Serve as coach, facilitator and negotiator in coordinating team initiatives and in consensus-building activities among team members.
- Prepare reports and maintain records of work accomplishments and administrative information as required (e.g., work schedules, anticipated leave plans, master telework schedule, etc.), and coordinate the preparation, presentation and communication of relevant work-related information to the supervisor.
- Without supplanting any ongoing interactions by individual employees, represent the team consensus and convey the team’s findings and recommendations in meetings and dealings with other team leaders, program officials, the public, and other customers on issues related to or that have an impact on the team’s objectives, work products and tasks.
- Estimate and report to the team on progress in meeting milestones and deadlines established by the supervisor for completion of assignments, projects and tasks, and ensure that all team members are aware of and participate in planning for achievement of supervisor-established team goals and objectives.
- Lead the team in assessing its strengths and weaknesses and provide leadership to the team in exploring alternatives and determining what improvements can be made in work methods, processes and procedures.
The vacancy announcements found at the following links are now open on USAJOBS. Position closes on Tuesday, January 20, 2015.