Network Coordinator, Chesapeake Foodshed Network
The Chesapeake Foodshed Network (CFN) seeks a dynamic individual to bring together a multi-state network of players to work toward examining and improving the food economy in the Chesapeake region. Working closely with the CFN Leadership Committee, the Network Coordinator will cultivate relationships and synergies among all sectors of the regional food chain, including food grower/ producers, aggregators, distributors, and retail and wholesale buyers/consumers. S/he will engage with a broad spectrum of food system supporters and regulators, including industry and trade associations, nonprofit organizations, businesses, governmental bodies, and interested members of the general public.
Because the CFN aims to enhance the efforts of groups already at work, the ideal candidate will be a strong relationship-builder and collaborator with the ability to engage disparate players in identifying holistic approaches and solutions for strengthening the regional foodshed. S/he will make use of existing synergies and identify new opportunities, ultimately building infrastructure, buy-in, and momentum toward a food economy that contributes to the health of the people, the environment, and the economy of the Chesapeake region.
The Network Coordinator is a part time (20-per-week) contract position with potential for growth into a full-time position. Some evening and weekend work may be required. Candidate will primarily telecommute, and must have a valid driver's license and reliable vehicle.
About the Chesapeake Foodshed Network: The CFN is a new initiative that seeks to strengthen both the market for, and the availability of, local and sustainably-produced food. Recognizing that true sustainability is a "three legged stool," the CFN seeks to promote a food economy that preserves environmental quality, maximizes social and community benefits, and is economically viable for farm families and others in the food sector. In its current form, the CFN is comprised of a Leadership Committee, a Data Collection Committee, and a Priority Initiatives Committee. Using a "Collective Impact" approach, the CFN seeks to facilitate a common agenda, aligned efforts, and clear, regular communication among Network members. Future Harvest/Chesapeake Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture (FHCASA) is the fiscal agent for the Chesapeake Foodshed Network.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Develop relationships and facilitate connections to build and support CFN involvement among individuals and organizations
• Build CFN membership intentionally by identifying geographic and field/industry representation and addressing gaps in participation
• Compile inventory of current local food/farm initiatives throughout the region
• Establish and maintain all aspects of Network communications, both internal and external
• Profile and publicize successes
• Coordinate Data Collection and Priority Activities committees and other work groups as established
• Coordinate Leadership Committee calls and Network-wide meetings
• Prepare regular written summaries of Network activities
• Seek CFN funding opportunities and write funding proposals as suggested by Leadership Committee
Skills and Requirements:
• Excellent team building, communication, and facilitation skills
• Ability to create and nurture inclusive, win-win relationships
• Fundraising and development experience, including grant writing
• Ability to work independently and contribute organizationally
• Ability to create and maintain an online presence for CFN
• Problem solver
• Master's degree or equivalent experience
• Experience in local food systems and/or sustainable agriculture
• Background in collective action/campaign/network development
• Familiarity with Chesapeake region
• Familiarity with the Collective Action framework
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may also be sent to this address.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2014.
The Network Coordinator job posting is also posted on the Future Harvest CASA website: http://www.futureharvestcasa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=351:cfnposition&catid=98:programs