FOOD EDUCATION INTERNSHIP – SUMMER 2015
ABOUT JUST FOOD
Just Food’s mission is to empower and support community leaders in their efforts to advocate for and increase access to locally and sustainably grown food, especially in underserved NYC neighborhoods. Just Food provides training and education to community members to help them launch projects like farmers' markets and CSAs, provide education in basic culinary and urban agriculture skills for their neighbors, and advocate to make their corner of New York City a healthier place to live and eat.
Reporting to the Food Education Manager, the Food Education Intern will assist with the planning and management of the community chef program. The community chef program trains community members from diverse backgrounds to facilitate interactive cooking demonstrations about how to prepare local, seasonal food. These workshops take place at farmer’s markets, food pantries, community gardens, and community events. Just Food seeks an individual with the capacity to:
- Assist with the development of curriculum and educational materials for Just Food’s community chef training program
- Attend and assist with community chef trainings taking place in late May and early June.
- Create tip-sheets and outreach materials to support the food education program.
- Provide administrative support.
- Strong communication, writing, editing, research, and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Drive and Internet research)
- Cooking and/or nutrition background required
- Ability to work well in teams with diverse groups across race, class, and urban/rural divides and a desire to work with low-income community members
- Be flexible with a great sense of humor
- Reliable, punctual, and able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- 15-20 hours a week. Must be available on Saturdays. Late May to September
This position reports to Angela Davis, Food Education Manager. Please send a cover letter and resume to Angela Davis, Food Education Manager, at angela[at]justfood.org with the subject line “CFE Intern.” No phone calls, please!
FOOD EDUCATION MANAGER
1133 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS, SUITE 1515
NEW YORK, NY 10036