Radix Farm, located in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, just 10 miles from Washington, DC, grows Certified Naturally Grown vegetables on three acres and sells to an 80 member CSA, farmers markets, and restaurants. Heading into our sixth season, Radix Farm is looking for FT and PT Farm Workers who are responsible and enthusiastic about small-scale vegetable production.
FT Farm Field Crew Position Available
The FT Farm Field Crew worker will participate in all aspects of running a small, diversified vegetable farm and work closely with the owner and field manager throughout the season. This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to gain experience in growing on a small scale and building the skills necessary to manage or start a farm.
The position is full-time, seasonal, 40-55 hours per week (Mon-Sat). Ideal start date is in April. Position ends in November.
The FT Farm Field Crew worker will assist with all areas of production from seed to sale.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Seeding, transplanting, weeding, mulching, trellising, pest and disease management, and building fertility
- Harvesting, washing, post-harvest management, and packing for CSA and Markets
- Assist with leading volunteers/interns
- Assisting with foliar feeding, high tunnel maintenance, greenhouse maintenance
- Regularly attend CSA pick-up and farmers markets
- Farm record keeping
- Communications and outreach to members and the public
- Opportunity for independent projects for motivated workers
- 1- 2 years farming experience strongly preferred
- Experience with and passion for small-scale, low-input, sustainable vegetable production
- Excellent communication skills and positive attitude
- Strong work ethic, fast learner, and ability to anticipate and take initiative
- Experience selling at farmers markets or direct market sales
- Ability to work quickly and carefully, and motivate others to do the same
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Able to lift 50lbs, perform strenuous physical tasks, and work in all types of weather
- Driver’s license, clean driving record, ability to drive manual transmission
- Experience with equipment, tractor implements, and building skills a plus
The FT Farm Field Crew worker will receive on-farm housing, bi-weekly pay based on experience, an abundance of fresh vegetables, and opportunities for additional training and education through regional farm visits. There may be opportunities for advancement and end of season bonus.
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume including previous farming experience and three references (at least one farm related reference) to radixfarm(at)gmail.com.
ALSO HIRING - PT FIELD WORKER
The PT position is seasonal, 24-30 hours per week, May to November (with possibility of becoming full time). No housing included (we are a 30 minute commute from DC). The PT worker will be paid hourly based on experience, receive an abundance of fresh vegetables and opportunities for additional training, education, and regional farm visits.
Find out more about Radix Farm