Farmers Market Manager/Vegetable Production Crew Member
About Fishkill Farms:
Fishkill Farms is a 150 acre fruit and vegetable farm located in the mid-Hudson valley, NY. Our vegetables (20 acres), berries and a portion of our apples are grown organically, and the balance is low-spray eco-apple certified. Produce is marketed through a 200-member CSA, an on-site farm store, wholesale outlets, on-farm pick-your-own, and three farmers markets in NYC.
About the Farmers Market Manager:
This is an ideal position for someone with vegetable experience looking to take on a management role. Fishkill sends vegetables, fruit, cider, eggs, jams and other jarred goods, frozen produce, flowers, and peach blossoms to market at different points in the year. The manager will act as liaison between the farm’s different enterprises as they come together for marketing and ensure that high standards are consistently met. There is room for the market manager to pursue other venues for produce sales, coordinate and expand the farms donation program, work with the farm store to increase on-farm produce sales, or follow other marketing projects of interest.
● Oversees all aspects of our year-round markets
● Works alongside our vegetable production crew to plant, weed, train, and harvest diverse vegetables for our CSA and markets.
● Packs produce and supplies for all markets, attends one market each week
● Trains and manages 4-6 city market workers
● Develops and communicates to market workers new displays and market strategies
● Maintains market equipment and supplies, market sales records
● Handles fruit ordering for markets, takes the lead in the vegetable pack shed
Our Ideal Candidate Is:
● Happy working independently or as part of a team, communicates well with others
● Enjoys working hard and and has the ability and interest in performing physically challenging and repetitive tasks in all weather conditions; Is able to comfortably and safely lift and carry 50 lbs.
● Ready to take on the demanding schedule, pace, and inevitable challenges of a farming season with consistency and good humor.
● Detail-oriented and organized
● Personable, able to deliver great customer service
● Experience with farmers markets and managing employees a plus
● Enthusiastic about organic agriculture, interested in pursuing a career in agriculture, and interested in having meaningful interactions with the public around food and farming.
● Has at least one full season on a production farm preferred but not required.
This is a seasonal, full-time position beginning in the spring (March or April) and ending in late fall (November or December), with the possibility of part-time winter work. Days are Wednesday through Sunday, and hours will range from 40 to 70 and will average out over the season to around 55/week. Market Manager will work with the vegetable production crew Wednesday through Saturday, taking time out as needed for market related duties, and attend a farmers market on Sunday.
Requisites: Valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and your own transportation.
Compensation: starts at $500/week and includes produce from the farm.
For more information please contact Jess at email@example.com. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Market Manager 2015” in the subject line.