The Farmers Services Coordinator reports to the director of programs and includes the following responsibilities:
Farmer Education and Mentoring
In partnership with UGA oversee outlined deliverables including developing beginning farmer financial and production curriculum, a Farmer-to-Farmer Mentoring, Apprentice, and Incubator Farm Program and serve on advisory and outreach teams with University Researchers. This will be a primary responsibility of this position for the next three years. (2015-2017)
Manage current and future farmer services grants and coordinate all deliverables, budgeting, reporting and evaluation.
Assist in grant writing to fund the Farmer Services program.
Develop tracts programming, speakers and farm tours with the assistance of a farmer and board advisory committee
Promote and manage farmer scholarships.
Organic Agriculture Growth and Outreach
Promote and implement the 100 Farms Campaign by recruiting farmers to become certified organic.
SunBelt Ag Organic Pavilion
Organize the annual Organic Pavilion and the SunBelt Ag Expo in Moultrie each October, which includes recruiting vendors.
Organize bulk ordering of farm inputs for farm members semi-annually.
Educational & Communications Outreach
- Exhibit and/or present at annual conferences including the SE Fruit and Vegetable conference, among others.
- Develop content for and execute monthly e-newsletter.
- Keep tools, resources and content on website up to date.
- Work with communications director to provide topics, articles and news pertinent to sustainable and organic growers in the state.
- Represent Georgia Organics and serve as spokesperson at various events.
- Answer inquiries related to organic production and marketing in a timely manner in partnership with UGA Cooperative Extension.
- Represent the interests of farmers within Georgia Organics.
- Support development and membership goals by recruiting farmers to be active members of Georgia Organics.
- Attend regularly scheduled staff and organizational meetings
- Provide feedback to support the organization’s strategic development.
- Be team and results-oriented in achieving the goals of Georgia Organics.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures to ensure strong internal collaboration.
- Support organizational events throughout the year.
- Collaborate with Farm to School team for high impact events and greater support of member farmers.
- Produce and distribute two stories a month
RANGE OF DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- On-farm and farm business experience.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge and experience with both producer and consumer dimensions of organic food and agriculture.
- Experience with farmers and the conditions of the Southern region.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Superb management and organizational skills, attention to detail, and team-oriented ethic.
- Results and goal oriented
- Entrepreneurial approach to working in an environment with limited resources.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and region.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Flexibility, a sense of humor and a commitment to the mission of Georgia Organics.
The Farmer Services Coordinator is a full-time position with a salary of $40,000. Benefits include health insurance, retirement investment options, and generous vacation.
Email resume and cover letter by Dec. 14 to Michael Wall, Director of Programs at email@example.com. Please type “Farmer Services Coordinator” in the subject line of the email.
Georgia Organics is a dynamic and growing nonprofit working to connect organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. The organization is currently seeking a full-time Farmer Services Coordinator to work at its office in Atlanta. This position provides important outreach to sustain and increase the number of local and organic farms in rural and urban areas. Georgia Organics is an equal opportunity employer.
200-A Ottley Drive
Atlanta, GA 30324
p. (404) 481-5017
f. (678) 702.0401