Powisset Farm Field Manager
Powisset Farm is seeking a full-time Field Manager. We are seeking an individual who is committed and passionate about farming, eager to build and foster community, hard-working, creative and motivated, and excited to join and lead a team of people in the fields.
Please contact Farm Manager, Meryl LaTronica, at email@example.com with your resume and cover letter, if you think you might be a good fit for this position.
The Powisset Farm Field Manager will help manage all aspects of production and distribution of produce at Powisset Farm, a property of The Trustees of Reservations, reporting directly to the Powisset Farm Manager. Powisset farm grows row crops on fifteen acres for a 400-member CSA, on-site farm stand, multiple hunger relief partners, wholesale accounts and for our on-farm culinary program. Primary responsibilities include; greenhouse management, harvest and post-harvest management, leading crews in the field through harvest, weed and field projects and tractor operation and maintenance. The Field Manager must be able to work independently with a minimum of supervision and be willing to learn new skills in order to meet the broad range of tasks that will be assigned to the position.
In addition to the CSA, the farm includes and on-site farm stand, off-site markets, a chicken and pig (eggs and pork) livestock operations, and landscaped and natural areas. Powisset Farm is owned and managed by The Trustees of Reservations, a state-wide conservation organization and is open to the public. Interpretive and educational programs will be developed on the farm that will utilize the CSA to help inform visitors about the farm's history and agriculture. In addition, management decisions will reflect sound resource protection and management principals. As a result, the Field Manager must possess excellent people skills in order to interact with the members of the public who visit the farm often.
Hours, Salary & Benefits:
The Field Manager is a full-time exempt position. This role is year-round, with a seasonally variable work schedule. Starting salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position provides an excellent fringe benefits package, which includes group medical and dental insurance, disability and life insurance, vacation, sick and personal time, and the option to participate in our 401(k) plan.
This position begins in March, 2015.
- Assist in all aspects of crop production for CSA (summer and winter), farm stand (on-site), off-site markets, donations, wholesale accounts and Powisset Farm Mobile Market
- Execution of all necessary farm work, such as; planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvesting, washing, greenhouse work, soil management and tractor work
- Assist in the management of farm tools and equipment
- Help manage and maintain farm facilities including the barns, coolers, greenhouse, cold frames, irrigation system and fencing
- In conjunction with the Farm Manager, the Field Manager will be responsible for all field management, and will train other CSA staff in these tasks.
- In consultation with the Farm Manager, help manage all special projects including basic carpentry, and other building projects
- With the Farm Manager, help train seasonal field staff (full and part-time) in safety regarding use of equipment and farm work
- Help train and oversee seasonal farm crew and volunteers in everyday tasks
- Work effectively and cooperatively with other Powisset and Charles River Valley Management Unit staff and other Trustees of Reservations staff
- Help facilitate positive visitor experiences on farm
- Assist with all season extension projects, including, but not limited to, the winter CSA, winter farmers markets, and winter growing.
- Assist and participate in special events on the farm, including, but not limited to the Spring Festival and on-farm dinners.
- Participate in ongoing planning and visioning for the farm operation
- Other duties as required.
At least 2 years of direct, hands-on experience on a production–oriented organic vegetable farm.
- Experience operating and maintaining tractors and other farm equipment.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision or as a member of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills
- Some experience supervising other staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work long hours and perform physically strenuous farm tasks including repeatedly lifting up to 50lbs.
- Strong work ethic, willingness to be flexible and a positive attitude.
- Drivers license and clean driving record
Exceptional candidates without the desired experience may be considered for on the job training.
Powisset farm established a CSA operation in 2007 with 100 members, growing on five acres. We now cultivate fifteen acres to supply produce for our 400 CSA members, a thriving on-site farm stand, multiple weekly donation partners and wholesale accounts, and fledgling Mobile Market project. In addition to our vegetable production, we raise pigs and chickens, train farmers, host individual and group volunteers, run a 4-H program, and host over 10,000 visitors each year through public programming, large events and passive visitor experiences. With the additional of a newly finished commercial kitchen, we are also hosting culinary and farm-to-table workshops and farm dinners. Our farm work centers around growing top quality produce while also nurturing and growing our community through food, experience and programs.
Along with the CSA Manager and other staff of The Trustees of Reservations, the Field Manager will help support all aspects of Powisset farm and its programs in order to grow food, foster community, and nurture the land on which these things flourish.
Read more about Powisset Farm and The Trustees of Reservations: