We are currently hiring for a crew leader position for the 2015 growing season at Huguenot Street Farm.
Crew leader position
Huguenot Street Farm is an innovative small-scale farm right in the center of New Paltz. We grow 10+ acres of diverse, mixed vegetables for a 200 member CSA and several restaurants.
This crew leader position will be expected to guide the crew through daily farm tasks during the season. By meeting with the farm manager on a daily basis, the crew leader will be able guide the crew through tasks such as weeding, harvesting, planting, irrigation, etc. This position is expected to be a leader in the field by having good communication with the crew and the farm manager and to keep an efficient pace, oversee record keeping and maintain a positive attitude.
This position will be 45-50 hours/week at the height of the season, but between 35- 45 hours in the spring and the fall. This position will run from the end of February- November with the option to work multiple seasons. We ask that the hire is flexible with our start and end dates as the seasons always bring a certain level of uncertainty. Compensation will be $10-$12/hour with the potential for on-farm housing.
Our ideal candidate:
- Can strike the right balance between speed and quality in all tasks
- Has good leadership and communication skills
- Can maintain a positive attitude throughout long days and difficult tasks
- Can listen to and follow instructions well
- Is open to taking and offering feedback
- Has at least 2 seasons of experience on a vegetable operation and at least 1 season in a leadership position.
- Is familiar with basic tractor skills that include the use of a brush hog, rototiller, and front end loader
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with 2-3 references. Please also specify which position you’re applying to.