EarthDance Organic Farm School is a nationally-recognized non-profit organization combining food production, agroecology education, and community development. EarthDance manages mixed vegetable, fruit, and livestock production on our 14 acre historic farm in Ferguson, Missouri, in a residential area in a close suburb of St. Louis while engaging all ages in programs on sustainable living, farming, and gardening.
Our farm site is designed with permaculture principles at the core. We have 6 acres in cultivation, 7980 sq ft high tunnels, a 36’x40’ harvest house slated for construction in 2016, a 30’x96’ greenhouse, farmhouse office, a 250+ tree mixed perennial orchard planted on berms and swales with our annual crops alley-cropped between, along with pastured poultry, mushrooms, herbs, cut flowers, pasture, prairie, and mixed woodlot.
EarthDance Organic Farm School runs a variety of programs to educate all ages about organic farming and gardening, permaculture and sustainability. Our flagship program is our Farm & Garden apprenticeship, in which 25-35 adults take classes and do 8 hours a week of hands-on education and training on the farm. We also run a paid job training program for Ferguson teens, engage students in a vocational program from the school district, host field trips and volunteers, engage neighborhood children in summer programs with seniors to encourage healthy habits, and collaborate on research projects with nearby universities and research institutions.
WHAT WE SEEK:
We are seeking a 2016 Assistant Grower. Their duties will include the following:
Under the guidance of the Farm Managers:
- o Supervise post-harvest handling with strong attention to quality, organization, communication, and recordkeeping
- o Organize produce distribution to CSA, farmers market and wholesale accounts
- o Set up and break down Tuesday evening CSA distribution from 5:30-6:30pm Tuesdays.
- o Supervise/ Co-supervise beginning farmers and volunteers on the farm with a high attention to safety and efficiency
- o Assist with implementing production schedule along with rotations & sequencing of plantings, cultivation, and harvest
- o Assist with implementing farm management plan using organic methods and good land stewardship including but not limited to; crop rotation, cover crop, fertilizing, composting, cultivation, pest and disease management.
- o Assist with farm maintenance using organic methods and good land stewardship. Tasks include but are not limited to the use and maintenance of a tractor and implements, mower, weed whip, fertilization, pest and disease management and other tools.
- o Assist with recordkeeping including but not limited to recording: daily tasks, harvest quantities, market sales, CSA quantities and value, pest and disease management practices, propagation, fertilization, receipts, etc....
- o Manage the EarthDance booth at the Saturday morning Farmers Market on an occasional basis.
- o Make wholesale produce deliveries on occasional basis.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Demonstrated passion for organic farming and community involvement
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to work outdoors in harsh summer conditions and maintain a sense of humor
- Experience working effectively as part of a team
- Professional, friendly, and enthusiastic personality
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example, with a strong work ethic, compassion and integrity
- Completion of the EarthDance Farm & Garden Apprenticeship OR comparable farm work experience of a season or more on commercial organic produce or diversified farms.
- Cell phone communication
- Frequent computer and internet access (including use of personal laptop for office work)
- Reliable transportation or the ability to navigate the public transportation system
HOURS: This is a part-time seasonal position, requiring 4 days/week. The Assistant Grower’s schedule will be:
Tuesday 7:30am - 6:30pm
Wednesday 8:30am - 3pm
Friday 7:30am - 5:30pm
Saturday 7:45am - 12:15pm*
*On Saturdays when the Assistant Grower is covering market, the schedule will be: 6:30am - 1:00pm
Position starts as soon as possible and ends October 31st, with possible extension.
COMPENSATION: This is a part-time, seasonal position, with an hourly rate of $10/hour. In addition, the Assistant Grower will receive a weekly CSA share of vegetables during their time on the farm, along with free weekly classes offered by EarthDance.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter, and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Assistant Grower Application”. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
EarthDance Organic Farm School
233 S. Dade Ave., Ferguson, MO 63135