Resources for Alumni
- 10X Venture Partners is a seed stage (and beyond) investment group. They commit operational experience and dollars to their portfolio companies. A typical investment ranges from $50-$500k, but they are capable of larger investments and follow on. They invest from the idea stage through $5-10 million in revenue, for profitable companies. 10X prefers companies in the New England market.
- Borealis Ventures partners closely with exceptional entrepreneurs from the earliest stages to build market-defining companies in information technology and life sciences. Borealis is particularly committed to advancing the realm of design and engineering software and has invested for more than a decade in that sector’s most innovative emerging companies in such fields as 3D design, construction management, and data-driven software. Borealis seeks an initial institutional round of financing, including seed funding, and will invest anywhere from $100K to $2.5 million initially with the potential for more over time.
- eCoast Angel Network's focus is on early-stage companies involved with advanced technology, e-commerce, healthcare, and industrial products and services, principally located in the New Hampshire coastal region. The group is most interested in companies requiring $250K-$2M at pre-money valuations of less than $5M, who have a credible multi-option exit strategy and are led by an experienced core management team.
- First Run Angels acts a conduit to find and screen business proposals for the investors who specialize in early-stage equity funding. Once the angel investors take an interest in a company, they work out the terms and conditions of the investment with the business owner. Investments can include seed money for business start-up or for internal growth and expansion.
- Harbor Capital Light Partners is a private investment firm seeking to invest in early and growth stage companies located in the Northeast. Their unique approach combines flexible capital and collaborative support to build successful, sustainable operating companies. Harbor Light’s legacy, values, and experience provide the guiding light for superior results. Harbor Light Capital Partners focuses on investments in the $1-$5M range.
- IFundWomen is a startup funding platform providing access to capital through crowdfunding and grants, expert business coaching on all the topics entrepreneurs need to know about, and a network of women business owners that sparks confidence, accelerates knowledge, and ignites action. Learn more at ifundwomen.com.
- The Impact New Hampshire Fund is an angel investment fund that will create and promote positive impacts on the New Hampshire economy. The fund is limited to accredited investors. The fund gives preference to women-led companies; applicants should have at least one woman in an operating role at the C-suite level. Please go to http://impactnhfund.org/#FundingHome to download the initial application.
- North Country Angels (NCA) brings together over 40 successful and experienced entrepreneurs who are active in making early-stage and seed investments in companies located in the northeastern United States. Every month they gather informally to discuss recent news from the investment community, share due diligence activities, build strategic relationships, and review business plans from prospective companies. They are keen to see strong business plans with qualified management teams to back them up.
- Northeast Angels is an early-stage investment group which works with entrepreneurs and businesses located in the Northeast. Specifically, NeA focuses on opportunities located around the business corridor between Manchester and Nashua, New Hampshire including surrounding communities. While they prefer deal opportunities located within driving distance of Nashua, NH, they will consider investments in the greater New England area. They also welcome deals referred by other angel groups or venture capital groups participating in greater New England investments. NeA invests in opportunities regardless of technology or service class. NeA members welcome any and all investment inquiries as our constituents have a wide range of expertise and interests. NeA looks for opportunities with companies that can demonstrate potential market penetration, strong leadership, organized effort and strong financial skills.
- Vested for Growth, a program of the New Hampshire Community Loan Fund, provides risk-tolerant capital up to $1M, business education, and peer-learning opportunities to help owners of established small businesses increase profits and create higher-quality jobs. For investment needs greater than $1M, VFG may be able to draw upon up to $2M from other lending partners. The only business financing program of its kind, VFG creates sub-debt and royalty financing packages when banks and equity sources can’t provide enough capital to meet their needs. Training or technical support may be provided by some combination of: a business performance coach, consultant, an advisory board or a business peer group.
- Wasabi Ventures is a venture capital, incubator, and consulting firm that specializes in building and advising early-stage technology companies. In the last 10 years, Wasabi Ventures has built, financed, and advised over 200 start-ups including some wildly successful ventures like Right Now Technologies, PBworks, Ustream, and Etherpad.
- IndieGoGo's mission is simple: anyone with creativity and passion should be able to seize their own success and change the world. To make that happen, they remove the barriers that creators face in bringing their projects to life and empowering their community to discover and elevate great projects all around the world. They know building something from scratch is hard, so they've got your back at every step. Awesome campaign strategists, retail partnerships, campaign and marketplace support—all are at the ready to help you bring your idea to life. Visit IndieGoGo.
- Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. Everything from films, games, and music to art, design, and technology. Kickstarter is full of ambitious, innovative, and imaginative projects that are brought to life through the direct support of people like you! Since its launch on April 28, 2009, over $2B has been pledged by more than 10 million people, funding more than 100,000 creative projects. Visit Kickstarter.
- Students actively manage the Rines Student Angel Investment Fund, a donor-created fund which focuses on investments in private equity and angel investments in entrepreneurial ventures and start-ups. The Rines Fund is open to all companies, not just UNH-related. For more information about the process to be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PIERCE ATWOOD, LLP
Pierce Atwood, LLP is a full service law firm that provides today's growth companies with the skilled legal services they need to become the successful companies of tomorrow. Their team has experience assisting entrepreneurs and start-ups int he following key areas: corporate governance, employee benefits, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, litigation (including patent litigation), securities, and venture capital.
Pierce Atwood, LLP, as part of its sponsorship of the ECenter, is an additional relationship resource available to UNH alumni. For more information on select options, email the ECenter at email@example.com.
Other Business Resources
Business Model Canvas is a strategic management and lean startup template for developing new or documenting existing business models. It is a visual chart with elements describing a firm's or product's value proposition, infrastructure, customers, and finances. It assists firms in aligning their activities by illustrating potential trade-offs. The nine "building blocks" of the business model design template that came to be called the Business Model Canvas were initially proposed in 2005 by Alexander Osterwalder based on his earlier work on business modelontology. Since the release of Osterwalder's work around 2008, new canvases for specific niches have appeared. (Source: Wikipedia)
Freelance designers for website, logos, marketing materials, and more. Determine your price agreement directly.
The ECenter is sharing these resources for reference only. We do not receive promotional compensation should you elect to use them, and we assume no liability for results or interactions with these entities.
- PATENT SEARCHING TUTORIAL
Prepared by ECenter Advisory Task Force member Michael McClurken, this patent searching tutorial document is an invaluable resource for start-ups who need a guide to the patent searching process.
The mission of the ECenter Mentor Network is to connect students, faculty/staff, and alumni who are looking for perpective and assistance with their ideas from those who have already been down the same path. Our mentors are alumni and community members with a passion for entrepreneurship and helping innovators grow their ideas.