Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2008-2009

University of New Hampshire at Manchester


The Undeclared Option


Students who are admitted to UNH Manchester as bachelor’s degree candidates, but who prefer to postpone the declaration of a major or academic specialization, may do so through the undeclared option. Undeclared students may take until the second semester of their sophomore year to select a major.

Applicants for admission to UNH Manchester who are uncertain of their academic interests are encouraged to apply as undeclared. After admission undeclared students are assisted by academic advisers in purposeful exploration of academic interests and in making appropriate course selections. At UNH Manchester, the undeclared option can also be an effective way to prepare for entry to a variety of academic programs that are available at the Durham campus only. Students must declare a major by the time they attain 57 semester hours.

Undeclared Program Requirements and Program of Study
To graduate from UNH, students must fulfill three types of requirements: University (general education), degree, and major requirements.
While undeclared, students develop their program of study with the guidance of an academic adviser. They work toward completing their general education requirements and explore their interests and possible baccalaureate degree majors. Once a major is declared, the student follows the major program of study to fulfill graduation requirements.

To graduate with a baccalaureate degree, students must complete the following requirements:

completion of at least 128 credits with a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.0;
completion of four writing-intensive courses, one of which must be ENGL 401, First-Year Writing;
completion of the University general education requirements;
proficiency in a foreign language;
satisfaction of major requirements.

The last 32 hours of credit must be UNH courses completed following admission and matriculation, unless prior permission is granted to transfer part of this work from another institution.

For more information about the Undeclared major, call the UNH Manchester Office of Admissions at (603) 641-4150, or e-mail

^ back to top