Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2008-2009

College of Engineering and Physical Sciences


Independent Study and Projects

All departments within the college offer independent study and/or projects. The content of these courses varies based upon current scientific and technological needs and student and faculty interest.

Permission of the instructor and/or department chairperson is required. (See the course descriptions for the independent study and project courses and for specific requirements.) Students interested in working with a faculty member on a project or independent study should discuss this with their academic adviser.

Special Provisions
The requirement of a given course in any prescribed curriculum may be waived by the faculty of a student’s college. The student’s petition must be approved by his/her major adviser and the dean of the college. This power will usually be delegated by the faculty to the dean or to a committee. (Senate Rule 05.21(s): Waiver of Requirements in a Prescribed Curriculum.)

This rule offers students the opportunity to develop a somewhat individualized plan of study with intellectual incentives and opportunities in addition to those in a regular curriculum.

A student with senior status and a grade point average of 3.2 may petition to take a graduate course for undergraduate credit. In addition, upon the recommendation of the department chairperson, a superior student may be allowed to count credits from up to two 800-level courses toward both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree, provided that the student has been admitted to the master’s program.

Research Opportunities
The talents and expertise of the faculty in all departments are reflected in the number of ongoing research projects. Undergraduates are included in many of these research projects with the intent that they discover and foster their creative talents. In funded research projects, students may have an opportunity to receive pay while learning.

A multiplicity of research programs is reflected in special facilities: Bioelectronics Laboratory, Fluid Mechanics Laboratory, Solid State Laboratory, Space Science Center, Wind Tunnel and Water Tunnel Facilities, Structural Biology Laboratory, X-ray Diffraction Laboratory, Data Visualization Laboratory, Nano-Manufacturing Laboratory, Chaos and Dynamic Systems Laboratory, Structural Engineering High Bay, Xeon Magnetic Resonance Imaging Laboratory, Jere A. Chase Ocean Engineering Laboratory, Water Treatment Technology Center, Recycled Materials Research Center, and Center for Contaminated Sediment Research.

Students have the opportunity to acquire applied experience by working with faculty members who undertake client-sponsored professional projects in technical and managerial areas for business and industry and for federal, state, and local governments.

Study Abroad Programs

The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences provides its students with the opportunity to spend the fall semester of their junior year at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) in Budapest, Hungary. Courses at BME are taught in English and receive prior approval for degree credit. Students studying in Budapest maintain their status as UNH students, pay UNH tuition, and will be able to graduate from UNH on schedule. A general education course on the language, geography, and culture of Hungary, taken at BME, is strongly suggested. The foreign student office at BME appoints a Hungarian adviser for each student and assists students in obtaining housing either in dormitories or apartments. For more information, visit the program’s Web site at

Scotland, Heriot-Watt University Exchange Program
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences students are eligible to participate in a spring semester exchange with Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland. The current program is designed for civil and environmental engineering majors. For more information, contact Ray Cook at (603) 862-1411 or the Center for International Education, Hood House.


Preparing for Teaching

Students interested in mathematics education (elementary, middle/junior high, or secondary), chemistry and physics teaching, Earth science teaching, or general science teaching should refer to the appropriate department for a description of the program requirements.

Combined Programs of Study

In addition to pursuing a single major, students may combine programs of study as follows:

Minors: See University Academic Requirements; see also Degrees and Major Programs of Study and Departmental Programs of Study.

Second Majors: See University Academic Requirements.

Interdisciplinary Majors: Many departments in the college offer programs that combine a major with another field of interest. See the descriptions that follow.

Dual-Degree Programs: See University Academic Requirements.

Student-Designed Majors: See Special University Programs.

Other combined and interdisciplinary opportunities: See Special University Programs.