Reporting for Students

Reporting Sexual Violence:  What are the options?

A student who has experienced sexual violence or harassment is not required, but is encouraged, to report the incident.

Students who know or suspect sexual violence or harassment has occurred against another student are also encouraged, but not required, to report these incidents (unless they have University jobs that make them Mandatory Reporters).

UNH has a comprehensive system to assist students who choose to report sexual violence. Students who wish to report sexual violence have a few different options.  They may file a complaint directly with the Title IX Coordinator, and/or the UNHPD.  They may also report to a UNH Authority/Mandatory reporter, anonymously report through ReportIt! or LiveSafe, or speak with Privileged Confidential Support Services.  Reporting involves a couple of important terms that every student should know, which are discussed below.  For a full description of UNH policies and procedures for reporting sexual violence complaints, read UNH Student Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities, Article VI. D., entitled Special Provisions.

Option 1: Directly Report/File a Complaint

Title IX Coordinator

 603-862-2930 / TTY Users 7-1-1

Donna Marie Sorrentino

Affirmative Action and Equity Office
105 Main St - Thompson Hall 305
Durham, NH 03824


University Police Department (24/7)

603-862-1427  or  911 / TTY Users 7-1-1

Chief Paul Dean

UNH Police Department
18 Waterworks Road
Durham, NH 03824

The Title IX Coordinator must coordinate compliance with Title IX at UNH. This means that when she receives notice of conduct that might violate Title IX, such as a sexual violence incident(s), she is responsible for the University's administrative response to that information.

You can notify the Title IX Coordinator or file a complaint directly in any one of the following ways:

  • ReportIt!
  • Call or email
  • Notify Police (most sexual violence acts are also crimes; if you report directly to the UNHPD, they automatically notify the Title IX Coordinator)
  • Report the information to any Mandatory Reporter (who will notify the Title IX Coordinator)

Reporting a sexual violence incident prompts UNH to take action because, by law, we are required to respond. The individual will be asked to disclose some information to allow UNH to assure the safety of the campus community with a police investigation, a UNH investigation, and/or student conduct proceedings. If you don’t want an investigation or disciplinary action to take place, or otherwise want your identity to remain confidential, your request will be carefully considered. However, honoring such a request may limit UNH’s ability to respond fully to the incident and, in some cases, UNH may override your request for confidentiality to maintain a safe community.

Directly reporting incidents to the Affirmative Action Office/Title IX Coordinator or UNHPD allows for the fastest response by the University.  If there is an emergency, please call 911.

Option 2: The UNH Mandatory Reporter

A Mandatory Reporter refers to certain individuals at UNH who are required to report any information they receive indicating that a student has been subjected to sexual violence by either another student or a faculty/staff/UNH employee. You may report an incident of sexual violence and/or harassment to a UNH Mandatory Reporter, who is then required to report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator. Mandatory Reporters include: all UNH faculty and staff members, coaches, teaching assistants (TAs), research assistants, hall directors, resident assistants (RAs), community assistants (CAs), and student workers who have University jobs having leadership, and/or supervisor responsibilities, and/or who mentor other students (e.g., Center for Academic Resources (C-FAR) academic mentors and tutors, Student Senate leaders, UNH Police safety escorts, youth camp counselors, and recreation department team captains). Therefore, if you share any information related to acts of sexual violence against you or another student with a Mandatory Reporter, these individuals will report that information to the Title IX Coordinator, which will in turn prompt the University to take responsive action consistent with its sexual violence policy and procedures.

For example, if you write about a sexual violence incident in a paper, or otherwise email your professor that you cannot attend class due to a sexual violence incident, your professor is required to report that information to the Title IX Coordinator.  Similarly, if you share with your Resident Assistant that you were sexually assaulted over the weekend, regardless of whether that assault occurred here, at another university, or at home, your Resident Assistant is required to report that information to the Title IX Coordinator. You will then hear from the Title IX Affirmative Action Office, and possibly the UNHPD.

If you would like to talk to someone but you are not sure whether you want to trigger the University's mandatory reporting and response system, there are other services available to you.  UNH Mandatory Reporters do not include the privileged confidential support providers at SHARPP, Health & Wellness, Psychological and Counseling Services, or ordained counselors such as the Chaplains Association. They also do not include student employees who do not mentor students as part of their jobs, such as a student worker in a dining hall or the library. 

Option 3: Making an Anonymous Report

Those who wish to file an anonymous report of sexual violence or sexual harassment about themselves or others in any one of the following ways:

  • The online  ReportIt! sends a report directly to the UNH Title IX Coordinator (not monitored 24/7)
  • The LiveSafe App contacts UNH police directly
  • Contact UNH Privileged Confidential Support Resources (details and contact information below).

Reporting sexual violence anonymously may limit UNH's ability to respond fully and effectively to sexual violence complaints, but it is an available option.  Anonymous reporting is only available to UNH students who are not mandatory reporters.  UNH mandatory reporters must report directly to the Title IX Coordinator.

Option 4: Privileged Confidential Support Services

While we encourage students and others to report sexual violence incidents so that we can keep you, and the campus as a whole, safe, we understand the difficulties that such processes can entail.  Therefore, if you are not certain whether you want to report, but you feel you need to talk to someone, UNH offers medical, counseling and general advice about options through our Privileged Confidential Support Services .  These services include SHARPP, Health & Wellness, Psychological and Counseling Services, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the UNH Chaplains Association.  Discussions with these offices will not trigger a police investigation, UNH investigation or student conduct proceeding unless you request it.  You can also start with privileged confidential support services and then, if you change your mind, you can file a report at a later time or ask that provider to help you file a report. List of privileged confidential support services at UNH.


UNH's Response

What happens when a report reaches a UNH Authority?

UNH Authorities (the Title IX Coordinator and the UNHPD) are required to respond to reports of sexual violence.  When they first receive notice of a possible incident, the information is reviewed in light of relevant UNH policies related to sexual violence as well as potential criminal charges/proceedings.  The responses vary depending on a variety of factors, but in all cases, the Title IX Coordinator and the UNHPD will take the wishes of the impacted party into consideration to the extent possible.  The person impacted will receive a Notification Letter from either the Title IX Coordinator or Community Standards, explaining that we have received a report of the alleged incident, and providing information on available resources and next steps.

The Title IX Coordinator and the Dean of Students will consider the allegations and determine whether to appoint an independent investigator to look into the matter.  In some instances, depending on the facts, there is no need to appoint an investigator.   If the authorities decide to appoint an independent investigator, they then notify Community Standards, who works to identify and appoint an investigator.   University authorities will contact the student(s) involved to address the situation.  UNH uses its best efforts to protect the identities of incident reporters and to respect the expressed interests of persons impacted.  If you don't want an investigation or disciplinary action to take place, your request will be carefully considered. However, honoring such a request may limit UNH's ability to respond fully to the incident. In some cases, UNH might override this request and pursue an investigation or possible conduct charges against a suspected offender even if the impacted person chooses not to participate, or if it means the identities of other student witnesses are disclosed, in order to maintain a safe community.

A student who reports a sexual violence or harassment incident or provides information to UNH Authorities investigating such reports will receive amnesty from possible conduct charges related to the use of alcohol associated with the reported incident.

UNH Authorities can help impacted students with interim measures such as changes in academic, living, transportation, or working situations to avoid exposure to the accused or to a possibly hostile environment. Further, they will support students who choose to report a crime to town or state law enforcement, and to obtain and enforce a no-contact directive or restraining order.  The filing of criminal charges will not delay UNH's administrative response; however, UNH will make its best efforts to not interfere with the integrity of any police or County Attorney proceedings. An impacted person can proceed with both an administrative investigation and criminal charges at the same time.

UNH Authorities will also help students by referring them to Privileged Confidential Support Resources.

Can I decide to do nothing about the fact that I was assaulted?

Yes, you do not have to report sexual violence, but are encouraged to do so.  As stated above, UNH offers privileged confidential support services, assistance with the criminal process through our police department, and an administrative response through the AA&EO, which includes an inquiry and/or investigation into any sexual violence allegations made by faculty, staff or students.