In 1995, the Faculty Senate established the University Writing Committee to deal with matters concerning the University Writing Requirement, Writing Across the Curriculum, and the Robert J. Connors Writing Center. The Writing Committee was formally constituted as a Permanent Committee with representation from each college and other important stakeholders on campus.
The Writing Committee was formed to accomplish the following tasks:
- to promote writing across the curriculum;
- to oversee the development of writing-intensive (WI) courses in General Education and in major disciplines;
- to recommend policies concerning the administration and operation of the University Writing Requirement, the WAC program and the Connors Writing Center;
- to evaluate the UWR regularly (every second or third year on a rotating basis) using a variety of measures, such as analysis of syllabi, interviewing of faculty and students, surveys, portfolios, etc.;
- to suggest necessary changes in procedure or policies to ensure efficiency; and
- to advise the Provost on resources required to support the program requirements.