Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.


Other Relevant Documents:

Graduate Programs under RCM
Intercollege Graduate Programs under RCM
DCE under RCM

The University receives tuition revenue for undergraduate and graduate education, summer session courses, non-credit courses, study abroad programs, and differential tuition. Institutional aid is awarded to students by the institution. These include: President’s, Dean’s, and merit scholarships, ROTC scholarships, athletic scholarships, music scholarships, need-based tuition waivers, New England Regional grants, graduate tuition waivers, and dissertation fellowships.
Under RCM, each of the academic units is allocated a share of net tuition. Allocation methodologies follow:

Undergraduate Net Tuition
Undergraduate net tuition is distributed as follows:

Specific aspects of the undergraduate net tuition credit hour allocation are:

Graduate Net Tuition

Go to Graduate Programs Under RCM for more information.

Graduate Tuition is attributed directly to the unit where the student is enrolled. For each student, the amount of tuition paid less financial aid received will go directly to the unit providing the degree. Please note: non-matriculated graduate students are not included in this allocation - their revenue and related credit hours are factored into the undergraduate/summer session allocation. Specific additional aspects are:

The chart below provides further clarification:



Financial Aid

What is included?

General resident and non resident tuition, self-supporting program tuition

Scholarships,fellowships, NE regional tuition differentials, Project assistant waivers – non resident portion, graduate assistant waivers

What is allocated to RC Units?

All tuition plus Master's and Doctoral Fees

Graduate assistant waivers, Graduate Scholarships (excluding diversity scholarships), and project assistant (out of state differential) waivers are the only form of financial aid that are allocated directly to RC units (including the Grad School/Academic Affairs). All other forms of financial aid are managed by the Graduate School and funded by the Academic Affairs assessment.

Who is it allocated to?

All schools and colleges

All schools and colleges

The majority of graduate students take course work within the unit they are receiving their degree from. An analysis of the past three fiscal years shows the percentage of non-major students taught by each unit and the percentage of major students taught by other units. In all cases, the percentages for each unit are similar, effectively negating the effect of non-major students between the colleges. Therefore, no adjustment is made in the allocation methodology for this type of occurrence and units should not be discouraged from instructing non-majors.

Summer Session
Go to DCE Under RCM document
Summer session tuition is distributed as follows:

Specific aspects of the summer session tuition credit hour allocation are:

These credit hour weights will be revisited in Year 3 of RCM.

Non-Credit Tuition
Tuition generated from DCE non-credit courses is allocated to the Division of Continuing Education. Non-DCE non-credit course revenue is attributed directly to the unit incurring the program expense.

Appendix 1

This is a detailed methodology of how tuition and financial aid are distributed to RC units. Please contact David Proulx with any questions or corrections.

Tuition Distribution Calculation

Undergraduate Tuition:
1. Calculate total undergraduate tuition from the following sources:

2. Calculate credit hours:

3. Calculate Undergraduate tuition by unit:

Summer Session Tuition:
1. Calculate total Summer Session tuition from the following source:

2. Calculate credit hours:

3. Calculate Summer Session tuition by unit:

Graduate Tuition:
1. Calculate total graduate tuition from the following sources:

2. Calculate tuition by student:

Report from the Graduate School summarizing tuition and fees by student by home unit for previously completed fiscal year.

Combine Undergraduate, Summer and Graduate tuition for each unit. This is the total tuition revenue assigned to them in the budget.

Financial Aid Distribution Calculation

Undergraduate Financial Aid:
1. Calculate total undergraduate financial aid from the following sources:

2. Calculate credit hours:

3. Calculate Undergraduate financial aid by unit:

Summer Session Financial Aid:

Graduate Financial Aid:
1. Calculate total graduate financial aid from the following sources:

2. Calculate financial aid by student: