Orientation Resource Fair
Gary Jordan, What Happens After Graduation? A Followup on Gary Jordan
What Happens After Graduation? A year later we caught up with Gary Jordan and found he had just been accepted into a PhD program.
Gary was a student at UNH in 2011-2012. He graduated with a BS in Economics and has gone on to apply for a PhD program and was recently accepted. He’ll be attending the University of Buffalo concentrating on Economic Geography, International Business, and World Trade. Gary doesn’t tend to do things half way so while he begins work on the PhD he will also be a Teaching Assistant for a course on the Geography of World Commerce. His two masters degrees, Economics and Business Administration will complement this program.
When asked what his long term goals are: Gary says he would “like to teach at the college level and would love to get back to West Point someday”.
Upcoming Events and Useful Information
- Summer Session 2014 - great way to earn course credit over the summer, more information on GI Bill Benefits can be found here
- Join the Manchester VA Medical Center for their Welcome Home event for America's Hero's. They'll be honoring Veterans, Service Members and up to 3 of their family members at a Fisher Cat's game July 6th, with food, game tickets & more. Register for the event/game at www.rock101fm.com, or for more information call 603-624-4366, ext. 6483. Remember...Future Yankees v. Future Blue Jays on July 6th at 1:35pm...be there.
- 8th Annual Veterans Count Golf Tourney, August 19th (Tuesday), 7:30am registration. Where: Candia Woods in Candia NH. The tournament benefits the Easter Seals program-Veterans Count-providing assistance to veterans and their families. Entry fee $175/per person includes breakfast, greens fees, cart, dinner. Sponsorships are available. To register on line, visit www.eastersealsnh.org or call Michael Cormier @ 603-621-3457.
- Orientation for New/Transfer Student Veterans & other Non Traditional Students - Thursday, August 28th from 4-6pm. This event will be held in MUB room 330/334, but requires early registration @ https://wildcatlink.unh.edu/form/start/46071. Please come out and join us!
- The Marine Leadership Scholar Program is available to all Marines seeking access to higher education. Contact the following link for information: www.leadershipscholarprogram.com/maredu/
- Veterans what is your perception of Transition, Retention, Higher Education and Success? The Syracuse University Institute on Veterans and Military Families is conducting a survey to better define each of the above topics. Take the "Service member to Student" survey here. https://syracuseuniversity.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9vjlQORYqGhqazj&RID=MLRP_cGWE6bVPA6ZWOUt&=1"
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program funds one year, international experiences: either individually designed study/research projects or English Teaching Assistant (ETA) positions. Grants are available in over 160 countries. Juniors, Seniors, and Graduate Students are eligible and Veterans receive preference! http://us.fulbrightonline.org/
On line applications taken through Oct. 14, 2014, but currently enrolled students MUST apply through the university. Contact the Office of National Fellowships right away for more information. Jeanne.firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-862-0733.
- Join us next Fall ('14) for the continuation of the Brown Bag lunch series, beginning Thursday, September 4, at noon in Rm 233 of the MUB...see you then.
- Interested In, or Looking for Engl 501 for the Fall Semester 2014??? Look no further. Writing The War Experience, Engl 501-04 is being offered this next fall semester, M&W from 2:40p-4pm. Veterans are encouraged to look into this unique writing/learning opportunity!
- Military and Veteran Student Mentor Program
- Interested in the Yellow Ribbon Program?
(limited seats available to UNH Durham and UNH-M students,
email Karina Locke for more information)
- UNH Library has many books and a video regarding military and veterans topics available for your review...follow this link to see what is available: http://unh.edu/veterans/unh-library-veteranmilitary-booksmedia-available...
- More Great opportunities and information for veterans can be found here
- Getting Started
- VA Benefits
- UNH Benefits Request for Certification
- Career & Educational Info
- Veterans Services Links