Getting Started


This checklist has been created for you to use as a tool to help you in the process of becoming a student at the University of New Hampshire.  Please let us know if you think we are missing anything.  


1. Apply        for  Admission

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions website provides guidelines for applying.  Specific information for Veterans interested in applying to UNH and application requirements can be found here.  Go to our website for details,, or call 603-862-1360. 

Your personal academic background and academic goals will be helfpul in determining how you will apply. The undergraduate application fee is waived for vets and active duty applicants. 

Special Note: The Preadmission Program at UNH is often an appropriate option for veterans.  The important thing to remember is that Admissions will make the final determination on whether the student's academic background is appropriate for study at UNH.  While many are accepted into the pre-admit program it is not an automatic acceptance.

The Graduate Admissions process differs from that of an Undergraduate.  You will apply through the Graduate School office, Thompson Hall.  Check out their website at or call 603-862-3000 for further information.  The graduate application fee is waived for vets and active duty applicants.

2. Apply for FAFSA The Free Application for Student Aid, of FAFSA, is a government-mandated form that determines your eligibility for low-orno-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. You'll want to complete this form to ensure you receive all the aid for which you are eligible, even if you plan on using veterans education benefits.  To be considered for the most potential aid, complete the FAFSA by March 1, this is the University of New Hampshire's priority submission date. Visit the FAFSA website to fill out and submit the application.
3.Obtain Transcripts from other universities attended

To earn transfer credit from coursework completed prior to attending the University of New Hampshire, collect your transcripts from previous colleges and any military institutions that can be considered for UNH credit.  Provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD 214 discharge documents to the UNH Office of Admissions for evaluation, or, if you are still on active duty provide your 2586 military identification.  Visit the appropriate site, and request that transcripts be sent directly to the UNH Admissions Office.

4. Apply for on campus housing If you would like to live on campus, you'll want to apply right away.  The UNH Housing website and has great information about residential life, on-campus apartments, as well as summer housing.  Off-campus housing can be found here.
5.Attend a University Orientation Orientation is a great opportunity for you to become familiar with the campus and to meet faculty, staff and fellow students.  UNH offers orientation for first year students as well as transfer students.  Please check out the Orientation website to see if there is a session you may want to attend.

6.Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor

Meeting with an academic advisor early in the course scheduling process can save you a lot of time, energy, and mistakes. If you happen to still be on active duty when it is time to register for courses, there may be an opportunity to set up a phone appointment for you to speak with your Advisor.  Advisors can help you plan a manageable course load that meets your specific academic needs. They can also assist you in ensuring that all the courses for which you will request GI Bill funding apply to your degree plan. This is a Veterans Affairs requirement in order to receive benefits.
7.Apply for Veterans Benefits

Visit the official GI Bill® Web Site to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you.  You will need to complete one of the following forms online through the Veterans Affairs' VONAPP website. 

  • VA Form 22-1990: Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans (Chapters 30, 33, 1606, or 1607)
  • VA Form 22-1990e: For dependents to whom Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility has been transferred (Chapter 33)
  • VA Form 22-5490: For children of disabled veterans applying initially for the Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • VA Form 22-1995: Change in Program/Place of Training, for those who have used the GI Bill at another insitution
  • VA Form 22-5495: Change of Place of Training, for those who have used Chapter 35 benefits at another institution
  • If you've been discharged from active duty, you will need to provide your VA official with your DD 214.  If you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility, or College Fund/Kicker Contract from the National Guard or reserves, be sure to submit a copy of these forms to the Veterans Affairs office as well.
  • Apply for your certificate of eligibility (COE)

Usually there is an 8 to 12 week wait before you receive your benefits.  Once they arrive and you have received your certificate of eligibility (or Notice of Basic Eligibility) those documents should be turned in to the Veterans Coordinators, Lonn Sattler and Katie Romero, so that you can be certified and receive your benefits.

"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S.government Web site at

8. Complete the UNH Benefits Request for Certification (RFC)

To ensure you receive your benefits in a timely manner, students must complete a Request for Certification (RFC) form every semester. Please make sure to complete this form a minimum of two months prior to the start of the semester, typically when you begin registering for classes.